Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Re-power old Briggs vertical single

Tacey

If it has a cast sleeve, rebuild it, or find an NOS shortblock. There was one on eBay recently for around $300. If you go with one of the newer style OHV engines your hood and grille will not fit properly.

Randy,

Look for an mower with a bad tranny. Vertical shaft engines are a dime a dozen here...I picked up a L head 12 HP from the 90's complete with a 5010 and rototiller for 100 bucks. tranny was torn apart but everything else was good. Vertical shaft engines are pretty easy to find on CL. Agree about the OHV ones though...Gotta find the Flatheads.

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm going to fiddle with the little singles as an extension of the hobby. Keeps the mind from wandering where it will go. " Idle hands are the devil's playground ". Haha

quote:Originally posted by BLT

What's your oil consumption?

id="quote">
id="quote">I'll know better in a few weeks. I have 2 728s, both run. One I have set up for snow thrower attachment ( it has already been repowered) and the other will be for grass cutting. It has an original looking motor. I intend to keep these 728s long-term so I thought I'd get a spare motor. I'm not thrilled with the snow throwing machine, it was repowered with a recoil start 8 HP. It leaks oil out of the bottom but I won't fix that till after snow season.

quote:Originally posted by skot71

Here's a vid of the engine Zippo Varga put on my free 727. I think it came off of a 4208 or similar tractor. Hood and grille fit fine.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3blevPDrf0k

id="quote">
id="quote">That would be the idea skot71! Nice machine. I like the little Broadmoors.