Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best Monday Ever

Talntedmrgreen

I had a chance to slip away for a day, after being buried in our busiest time of year at work this past month, and before I have to stick close to home as we approach the arrival of our baby boy. Took a vacation day and hit the dusty trail to Ohio.Met up with Dave Wagner and Craig Garbers, to fetch some Legacy parts and a Massey I once owned...another boomerang tractor! Craig has her running sweet, and I'll put some polish to it, and probably a new decal or two.Craig has a new Massey, that simply takes up too much space for him to keep the little 2818H.

20160208_092248.jpg

Driving and outdoor BS isn't normally so easy to do the first week of February, but it was low to mid 40's all day, and we haven't kept any snowcover in MI.

20160208_150915.jpg

Good thing I left the trailer at home to save on tolls...Craig has a beauty of a Deutz that might have rode home too.

s-l1600.jpg

20160208_182024.jpg

20160208_183722.jpg

20160208_183752.jpg

My other stop was in central MI, to visit with a fellow collector, and take him up on the offer to visit Patterson & Sons. 3 hours of BS in this place, and a guy can learn a whole heck of a lot!

20160208_144902.jpg

20160208_144908.jpg

20160208_144913.jpg

20160208_144935.jpg

An old photo of their former glory! I greatly appreciated the opportunity to hear what a couple very passionate collectors had to share.

20160208_144925.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I have to stick close to home as we approach the arrival of our baby boy.

id="quote">
id="quote">Man, you have been a busy boy! Where do you find the energy.;)

Cool. I haven't seen Craig in a number of years, and I have been to Patterson's a couple of times. Like you said, great place and great people.

quote:Originally posted by TimJr

Cool. I haven't seen Craig in a number of years, and I have been to Patterson's a couple of times. Like you said, great place and great people.

id="quote">
id="quote">It's always nice when I'm able to make some time to catch up with 'good people'! I have found it more enjoyable than the tractors themselves. I'll need to run into you somewhere this year Tim! dOd

quote:Originally posted by 720nut

Where is Patterson & Sons?

id="quote">
id="quote">St Johns...Opened in '48, from what I was told. The old man is still there M-F, though I do not know if he is the Patterson that opened the business. This gentleman was about 90.

I have visited Pattersons before, was only able to stay for about 15min the old man told me to come back anytime, very cool place would love to go back

quote:Originally posted by yukon

josh send me a pic of the massey when you get it done.

id="quote">
id="quote">Deal!

Its hard to miss driving past...he has an iconic storefront but my photo of that tirned out scrambled =(

He has the original neon AC sign out on the post with an Allis G hoisted above it, and a Simplicity/Power King sign beneath. Several large buildings out back for service.

Theres a nicely redone tractor on the East side of the lot, out front on a pad...looked to me like a WC on steel.

It's always nice when I'm able to make some time to catch up with 'good people'! I have found it more enjoyable than the tractors themselves. I'll need to run into you somewhere this year Tim!

You bet! I try to catch a few shows around the area. Muskegon, Scottville, and I will likely try to catch a couple of the garden tractor pulls in Coopersville again this year.

quote:Originally posted by TimJr

It's always nice when I'm able to make some time to catch up with 'good people'! I have found it more enjoyable than the tractors themselves. I'll need to run into you somewhere this year Tim! You bet! I try to catch a few shows around the area. Muskegon, Scottville, and I will likely try to catch a couple of the garden tractor pulls in Coopersville again this year.

id="quote">
id="quote">I'm not sure how 'traveled' I will be this year. I would really like to hit the show in Portage, WI, but will have to play it by ear.I never miss the Gilmore show, as long as the weather is dry! South Haven was a blast last year (my first visit), as well, so I may shoot for that one too.

Well took everyone's advice and spent a very enjoyable Thursday afternoon with Mr. Harry Paterson. He is the gentleman that opens the door 89 years young and going strong, just hope I have his spunk when I reach his age. We talked about everything from tractors,family, he did most of the talking telling me stories about business, which he and his father started 70 years ago and building current building they are in. Talked about family some good and some not so good, but during this he never lost his spark.

One story he did tell was about son redoing the D10 said it was wrecked and need a large amount of work and parts, said son probably has 20 thousand tied up in it. New Allis Chalmers 7060 that has never seen a feild and won't as long as he owns it. To be honest he told and showed me more things and stories than I can ever post here.

One thing for sure if you get the chance to speak with Mr Patterson it's one meeting you won't forget. I have 22 pictures if anyone wants to see I'll post

If you ever get a chance to talk to Mr. Paterson he will tell you more about the allis business that you can imagine. He is a very nice gentleman and has been in business for 70 years and if you are close just stop by and see him. I will for sure go back and visit with him.