Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
914-allis

Speed Reduction Gearbox Lub

914-allis

The seals on my speed reduction gearbox for my 47 inch two stage snow thrower 1692243 leak out oil when it is running. Thinking about putting OO grease in the gearbox instead of the 30 weight oil it calls for. What do you think.http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/super-s-cotton-picker-spindle-grease-00?cm_vc=-10005

MrSteele

Depending on the manufacturer of the 00..Most 00 I have found will actually seal itself, sort of. Not certain of the Tractor Supply grease. 00 is a gearbox lube, we have started replacing some of the former attempts of gearbox lubes with 00 at work, with good results, so far. Will get info when I get back to work, and post it. Playing with bronchitis the last few days

MrSteele

As for the seals being NLA at Partstree, check Motion Industries https://www.motionindustries.com/

or Kaman Industrial https://ec.kamandirect.com/us/index.jsp.

I have been buying bearings and seals from them for years, usually don't bother stopping at Partstree for the age equipment I play with

MrSteele

Possibly. We service, or say we do, sometimes not the case...our gearboxes periodically. You use your snowthrower several months of the year, then do not service until 5-6 months later. Our equipment runs 24/7/365, only chance it has to stop is for periodic servicing. Entirely different conditions.

Your snow machine will sit idle, allow the 00 to slide back into the gearbox, then whatever nasties are in the air, to find a way in past the failed seals. Seals do not only keep oil in, they keep contaminants out. I would finish the season, possibly, with 00, after a purge, clean with mineral spirits or kerosene, drain, and fill with the new lube. Many lubricants today are not compatible with each other. I would want my gearbox full of something I know will work

914-allis

You are right about replacing the seals and cleaning the inside of my gear box at the end of snow blowing season. Some years my blower does not get used at all. It is keep inside all the time and I try to keep it clean and ready to go at all times.