Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fastenal 3PL shipping

jsarro

Anyone ever ship a tractor through these guys?

How does one pallet a tractor and attachments safely to be shipped?

I am in the early stages of looking into this for a potential buyer.

I am checking into shipping a FTD, snowblower, deck, and cab.

Thanks,

There are a bunch of members whom have used Fastnal to ship their tractors but I am not one of them. I understand the price has gone up the past year but is still one of the most reasonable way to go.

Most guys drain fluids like gas and oil and then use a shipping blanket and harbor freight type inexpensive tie downs to secure the tractor to the pallet.

I am sure someone more "In the know " will be along to give you more accurate information.

Best of luck!

Jack, Mark, I had a B208S shipped from Nebraska in Dec $150 shipping. I sent 4 straps to secure to a pallet along with payment. All arrangements were handled on that end,about 4days to receive. Josh is the man in the know here but I'm going to call today to see about shipping B110 and mower deck. I've been told that if it can be rolled easily it could ship without a pallet Still have to supply strap or straps to secure to trailer, otherwise it has to be secured to a pallet, not sure on size requirement. Once I find out I'll post on here.

Contact Fastenal.com ,click on services and go to 3PL team it will take you from there. You'll need to know weight,height,width,length. They will tell you what is needed

I have shipped multiple tractors. I believe the largest pallet they will ship is a 4x8 foot. I dont think all will fit on one pallet. As far as pricing depends on how they feel that day. I have called up to tell them the price was too high and they fixed it no problem and told me always to call if you think there price is too high. I shipped a loader from Wisconsin to ct for 150. I also shipped a 7790 diesel with loaded tires from here to Wisconsin for $250. I usually drain all fluids and make a few chocks so the wheels cant roll and if there not filled i flatten them.

Thanks for all the great info.

I will let you know how it works out.

I need to find out if they will ship the tractor without a pallet.

Then I could just pallet the attachments.

They will not ship without a pallet.

They sometimes will provide a pallet but you will need to strap it down before they shrink wrap it.

They will not touch a load that is not secured on a pallet, and their folks at the stores are not permitted to do anything to it beyond shrinkwrap. It needs to arrive so they can stick forks under it and set it inside their receiving bay.I've shipped several tractors, and had a few sent my way as well. The tractor and deck can ship on an extended length pallet, but the blower/cab will need to ride on another pallet. The typical forklift can't handle a pallet that long without the pallet breaking. I sometimes add a couple 2x4's to the mid section of my tractor pallets. Remember, they need to hoist that thing into the back of a semi trailer, and then some poor sap has to wiggle it all over with a pallet jack. It will go through their distribution center, and then onto another truck or two over the course of 1-2 weeks. They do not insure the load (unless fully crated), so it's up to you to make sure it's reasonably packed for transit.I also like to use short lengths as screw-down wheel chocks, and I use a strap front and rear to secure. I have never had a machine break $190...recently I have had two go for $125/ea. My backhoe came for $125 from NJ to MI, and it's an 800lb behemoth. 20160119_112926.jpg

20160119_112936.jpg

I can't speak to the costs, but as someone who has worked in all 3 positions, shipping, receiving, and trucking, maybe this will help some of you understand a little better.

As a shipper. I don't care about the weight for the reasons you think. I need to know the weight of the item to know where to put it on a truck. The weight distribution is a big aspect of the safety of the load. Most pallets on a freight truck weigh right around a ton. Your little 600 or 800 pound item needs to be placed right for the balance of the load.

Don't have anything loose, or sticking out. When I slam into a pallet to load it, something is in the way or falls off, the fork is either going through it, or I'm going to run over it. I am not going to get off the forklift to straighten out something out of place. The safest item is inside the dimensions of the pallet. They also might get shoved hard to pack the truck on a big load. You want your wood pallet to hit the wood in front of it, not your grill...

The truck driver cares very much about the weight, and where it is on the truck. DOT can be miserable about over weight trucks. Also, he may have to move it around with a pallet jack, so over sized pallets can be miserable. His pallet jack can handle 3000 pounds and roll fairly easily, but if something sticks out and catches on the wall or another pallet, it will probably get bent.

Receiver is usually in a hurry. Trucker is on him because he is behind and needs to go, working through his break etc, so everything applies here as at the shipper.

If there is a question about pallet size, just make sure the pallet is as long and as wide (or a bit larger) than the item on it. Everyone involved will be happier dealing with an over sized pallet, than a small pallet with stuff hanging out the sides or ends.

Shrink wrap makes a pallet of anything look neater, and keeps anything from flopping around or falling off. If you can't find shrink wrap, cardboard and duct tape works too.

If you can find a junk one or have access, old pool covers make the best heavy duty bubble wrap

John, mine came from Nebraska and no shrink wrap, maybe depends on store? And I was thinking that someone had told me that if it rolled easy and you supplied strap to secure to trailer wall it would ship without pallet, must have been told wrong.

As someone who does this everyday, I agree with everything Dan said. I just want to re-emphasize securing to the pallet by any means necessary and keeping everything within the "footprint" of the pallet. Add lumber if needed. Whatever you do, it'll never be too much. Dave

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

LOL, no offense Josh, but that pallet you got on the trailer is a shipping nightmare. :D:D

id="quote">
id="quote">Tell me about it! I was shocked when I saw it...I work for a large distribution company, and if a truck shows up with a pallet with nay overhang whatsoever, it doesn't get touched. In fact, anything in front of it on the trailer won't either. It would be up to the driver to get any acceptable pallets moved past it, or he has to keep them. In this case, the guy on the shipping end did his best, and it's darn secure, but surely tough to move around. He did send pictures to Fastenal's 3PL person before it was wrapped, and even took the pallet to the store to make sure they would accept it. Kudos to them for taking on the challenge...I suppose it is an example of what might ship, and for how much. Shipments I have packed remain inside the confines of a pallet, and then my dimensions given to Fastenal reflect the pallet and item height (I use smaller or larger pallets when needed). I make sure that there is nothing the dropoff store needs to address when I arrive...I spend more time BS'ing there about hunting or one of their PITA customers, than I do with unloading/loading/payment.

quote:Originally posted by 720nut

John, mine came from Nebraska and no shrink wrap, maybe depends on store? And I was thinking that someone had told me that if it rolled easy and you supplied strap to secure to trailer wall it would ship without pallet, must have been told wrong.

id="quote">
id="quote">Lloyd, I was looking at two different shippers when we were arranging the deal. The other shipper preferred no pallet if it rolled good. That may be what you were thinking of. (and the one you got would not have rolled good!) ;)jsarro, one thing you HAVE to be aware of: They give NO guarantee delivery date. It is a "move when we have room on a truck" system, thus the cheaper rates. In fact, there is a disclaimer on the form that if you NEED it by a certain date to look for another shipper. At least they are up front about it.From Nebraska to 720nut was quick; however it was going towards the home depot. Shipping elsewhere may be different.

Here is the tractor I shipped. The straps have been taken off. Note that I added another piece of pallet to a standard pallet to make it long enough.

B208S%20002.JPG

quote:Originally posted by CarlH

Another novice shipper question relevant to this useful discussion. Where do you get pallets?

id="quote">
id="quote">Many factories have piles of them they will let you have. Our local paper gives away a couple a week. Lots of stores throw them out.Local tractor dealer here has a "free" pile all the time.Around here you could get a couple hundred a week off the craigs list free section.