Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grill edge trim for old Landlord

theniteowl

Anyone ever find a reasonable replacement edging material for the Landlord grills? In all my searching I have not found much in a similar shape and size.

Just stripped and painted the grill sections for my 64 Landlord and they look great but the as well as old vinyl cleaned up it is still dingy against the black upper grill and white lower.

I paint the trim pieces. Gloss black Krylon made for plastic or rubber is a little flexible when dry. I think it looks pretty good.

Otherwise, the trim around the back of the hood and on the seat of a running board tractor is the same....

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

I paint the trim pieces. Gloss black Krylon made for plastic or rubber is a little flexible when dry. I think it looks pretty good.Otherwise, the trim around the back of the hood and on the seat of a running board tractor is the same....

id="quote">
id="quote">So is there a place we've found to get that trim new?

The Landlords all had white smooth trim around the grill.

The seat trim I believe is textured and steel reinforced?

I can try a vinyl paint but one end of the upper trim is broken off and the holes where the staples held it in place in the lower trim were heavily scarred by rust. I want to go as close to original as possible and had hoped someone had found a reasonable substitute by now.

Some of the clip on type might work but they tend to be larger than the original trim.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

McMaster Carr had similar last time I looked.

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes, some of their stuff does come pretty darn close. It is what I used on my LL and my B12:http://www.mcmaster.com/#trim-molding/=112en8s

When I pulled them you would almost think these were painted black they were so cruddy. I tried cleaning with then soaking in bleach with very little success. The Wesleys bleach white would probably do a better job than regular bleach though.

I used an orange based cleaner that did fairly well at removing the crud but when it came down to getting it white again I found that acetone combined with rubbing and frequent changing of the portion of cloth being used did very well. Not like new of course.

The tight bends on the ends were hardened to the point where they felt more like plastic and would break. Soaking in acetone for a while softened them right up. Just have to be careful not to try cleaning them after an extended soaking as they would get soft enough to deform the surface with any pressure. Once the acetone dried out they remained flexible again.

quote:Originally posted by theniteowl

When I pulled them you would almost think these were painted black they were so cruddy. I tried cleaning with then soaking in bleach with very little success. The Wesleys bleach white would probably do a better job than regular bleach though.I used an orange based cleaner that did fairly well at removing the crud but when it came down to getting it white again I found that acetone combined with rubbing and frequent changing of the portion of cloth being used did very well. Not like new of course.The tight bends on the ends were hardened to the point where they felt more like plastic and would break. Soaking in acetone for a while softened them right up. Just have to be careful not to try cleaning them after an extended soaking as they would get soft enough to deform the surface with any pressure. Once the acetone dried out they remained flexible again.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thats good it worked out, sometimes you just have to do the best with what you have to work with. My trim was hard too, I actually had to heat it up over the stove to get it soft enough to get back on the grille.