Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

briggs 10 hp connecting rod

sideburns

Plowing snow off driveway.with 1965 landlord 10hp.connecting rod let loose.took it apart today rod broke . I need numbers for rings.and oil sweep and connecting rod.I cant find any numbers on motor look very original.and worn.thanks john b.

If it an old Briggs motor the number will be stamped on the side of the engine shroud about half way up. As you face the shroud on the left.

Gary

The old B&S 10HP cast iron block engine is Model 243400 series. The standard ring set in now P/N 792362. The standard connecting rod is now P/N 592158 and comes with the dipper.

THanks Gary and bill I have fun with my 65 landlord 101 hydro.Picking up leaves in fall. plowing snow. hauling fire wood.Thanks to this site for helping me to keep it up and running.:D

I plow with a Simpicity 3410. Is there anything can be done to prevent a connecting rod from letting loose? Mine runs well with no smoke and uses no oil. Will they all eventually fail no matter the care given?

quote:Originally posted by Tacey

I plow with a Simpicity 3410. Is there anything can be done to prevent a connecting rod from letting loose? Mine runs well with no smoke and uses no oil. Will they all eventually fail no matter the care given?

id="quote">
id="quote">Keep good clean oil in it and take your chances :DIt may or may not fail, rings may or may not fail first, it's 40 year old parts. :o:O

I'm looking for an excuse to rebuild it. I've never done much under the tractor hood other than vacuum off chaff. I just bought three used books on "How To Do Expert Service On Briggs Cast Iron Singles". I've never had a rod "let loose", at least not since my high school years. ;)

Thats what I did ran it low on oil. Wheres a good place to locate new rod and rings. ebay has one singapore and germany. for connecting rod.theres got to be some here in usa.

Stens doesn't make internal parts for the cast-iron Briggs. Best bet is eBay. You need a parts manual for that engine. There will be rods and rings listed on eBay under the old part numbers. The older parts are likely better quality. I have heard some of the newer rods are not as good as the older ones. Also are you sure that you don't need to bore the cylinder and use an oversized piston? Is the crankpin within spec?

Thanks chis a friend of mine had a 65 big ten engine sitting out in his barn.I took it apart mice living in fly wheel inside look like new. I will use rod and piston.thanks john b.

Great info and timing.

One of my 101s broke the connecting rod in a storm a few weeks back.

My other 101 was out of service because it was not running well, burning oil and I had to steal her BGB when the one in my 2010 failed.

I have already rebuilt and reinstalled the BGB now I need to rebuild both engines.

quote:Originally posted by sideburns

Thanks chis a friend of mine had a 65 big ten engine sitting out in his barn.I took it apart mice living in fly wheel inside look like new. I will use rod and piston.thanks john b.

id="quote">
id="quote">I'd use that engine, and pull the rest of what you need from the original. Used the "matched" set, if you will.

Agree with Mike. If you do not pull the rings out of the bore for this operation on the other engine, you may not need rings. If you use it, the worst that can happen is that it uses oil. If that is the case, find a set of rings for it. Does he know why he took it off?

I would take whatever is necessary off your engine and use on his. I ran a 16 in a similar situation over 5 years before taking it down. was going to bore, but it is already work .008 past .030 oversize, will need to sleeve back to original