Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bad BGB

Brettw

I had watched an ad on Craigs that stated that he had a 7116 with a bad hydro. In contacting him, I was going to walk him through the basics, first, before I offered him money for his tractor. I stated that it was rare if not non existant to hear of a Sundstrand failing. He let me know that all was working well untiul it made some noise and then died. No movement, no hydro lift working. Well, I was certainly curious, and also was interested in the tractor. So when I got there, he fired it up. Ran great, no smoke. After opening the seat pan I looked at what was happening. Nothing was happening. No pulleys or belts moving, no PTO cone clutch spinning. In short, a bad BGB. He is the original owner and said he paid nearly 6k as he recalled, WO the blower. Anyway, I have a spare BGB that will go in, and I will have a very nice package. The deck has not been used in years, as he had gotten a zero turn. It was just for blowing snow.So, my faith in the bulletprooof Sundstrand is intact. And after loading it up, I am ready to get it back in action.

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG.9625a17a86ce442eeb5cde5b0fe1283e.JPG

I would check the BGB very carefully. I bought a 1999 Sovereign with a bad BGB (so I thought). After close inspection; the woodruff key sheared. The PTO pulley turned and the shaft of the drive side pulley turned. The drive side pulley did not turn. It may save some time. jh