Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 9020 Ark Loader Brantly Backhoe

LostPup

Just picked this up. Everything works , had to put the bucket in the truckbed as the 12 foot trailer was too short to hold it. I am/was a Wheel Horse guy so this is a new one. Purchased from the second owner, original labels shown. Onan Engine at full throttle sounds good , no smoke at all.

It was sold by the owners son who knew nothing at all about it .

I drove it around , jacked it up fully and dug a hole, all the rods look clean and straight. All the pistons seemed smooth.

Hoses need attention for sure but then again no rust when its covered in oil.

Paid $2500 for it.

Here are a few pics .....comments welcome

Sim-001.jpg

Sim-002.jpg

Sim-003.jpg

Sim-004.jpg

Sim-005.jpg

Sim-006.jpg

Sim-007.jpg

Sim-008.jpg

Sim-009.jpg

Sim-010.jpg

Sim-011.jpg

Sim-012.jpg

Sim-013.jpg

Sim-014.jpg

Our yard has many size tree stumps to clear. Kids have been hitting them for years while mowing keeping me busy with deck repairs.

I started with one of the smaller stumps needing attention. Cleared a nice circle, scraping all of the surface roots away from the area so grass will have a chance later. Stumped finally popped up free just fine. No problems to report.

One thing I noticed was the flip over seat was way too low. A spacer or riser block of some type is needed to raise that seat. Its a replacement Cub seat with a DIY flip over hinge to run the backhoe. I will have to research the factory seat to compare. I tried kneeling but gave up on that. I guess the PO was a bit shorter than me as the seat forward/rear adjuster was removed. Moving on to larger stumps tomorrow.

Score so far Brantly Backhoe 1 , Small Tree Stump 0.

Here are a few pics .....comments always welcome.

Sim-015.jpg

Sim-016.jpg

A second effort to remove another stump in the yard.

I was a bit more aggressive using the weight of the tractor to dig and scrape downward a bit more, trying clearly to curl the bucket teeth against the roots as I found them. Worked well and I moved quite a bit faster with the 4 plus 2 controls getting familiar. I have kept the throttle at lower setting on the scale between idle and 1/2. Just keep curling and crunching roots in somewhat of a circle around the stump and them you can see the whole stump loosen and wiggle a bit as you proceed.

You can see the flip-over seat and just how close it is to the ground here.

Tractor has two separate subframes, the upper for the Ark 9000 Loader and a second from the mid of the tractor to the rear for the Brantly 603 backhoe. Subframes are very stout and thick steel. Very snug and secure , no rattles or movenet when using them.

The bucket is the 13" size as shown.

Here are a few pics .....comments welcome

Sim-017.jpg

Sim-018.jpg

Sim-019.jpg

Sim-020.jpg

Sim-021.jpg

Sim-022.jpg

Sim-023.jpg

Nice looking unit! Looks like you are putting it to good use too. I think the price you paid is a steal too. Have fun finding more jobs to work/play on!

Steve

Hey Pup, thanks for sharing all your pics. Of course that was a smokin deal so we are all jealous but hey somebody had to buy it! That seat is a cool way to accomplish both positions. Is it made to do that or does it just sit loose on the rails?

Having dug quite a few stumps with a case 580 c, don't be afraid to enlarge your circle. Even with a construction grade machine, stumps can be a pain. If it doesn't move easily, dig more. When it's ready, it will pull easily. Only strain on the machine should be lifting the stump weight. W

I wanted that package bad, just couldn't justify it right now, but it would have fit right it with the other 4 powermaxs

In the barn. I've dug out 100's of stumps, with excavators backhoes dozers and so on, they do damage I've ripped or seen at least 4 buckets ripped from stumps. As a matter of fact I completely wrecked a bucket this past weekend clearing a fence line, literally ripped the bucket wide open beyond repair, although it might not be all the stumps fault considering it was maybe 15 degrees out. Either way be carefully wouldn't want that jem getting tore up, and when your done with the stumps and ready to let it go look me up. And you got a great machine at a steal of a deal nice work

Wow! Glad I didn't have to be in bruhaha that we would have had if we all had known about it and shown up at the same time! LOL!

Great purchase Pup. Glad you were able to get this awesome machine that all of us would love to own.

We all really like the pix.

Welcome to a great forum!

Nice rig at a great price. Does the seat swivel around from driver side to back hoe side . Seat looks upside down ,seating on backrest.

quote:Originally posted by Blazerjeepman3

Nice rig at a great price. Does the seat swivel around from driver side to back hoe side . Seat looks upside down ,seating on backrest.

id="quote">
id="quote">No swivel on seat. You can try to sit on the backrest but its flips over quite easily. I am already working on a new seat base with swivel.

Pup, when you run it in the hot summer keep an eye on that battery carrier strap as the muffler heat will melt it. Speaking from experience, just sayin :(

I totally missed the pic showing how the seat hinges. That is creative and maybe with the right configuration / style of seat it could be comfortable. From your comments it sounds like it is not so good?

thats a nice prize that you have got . by the way my very first tractor of my own is a wheel horse 855 a very excallant tractor and pull as hard as the 101 if not harder its also has duels

• 2 weeks later...

LostPup could you tell me if there is a bolt through the splined pto adapter holding it to the backhoe hydro pump shaft. Your pictures show that area but is not clear if the pump shaft is splined or if there is an splined adapter bolted to the pump shaft.

quote:Originally posted by isetta

LostPup could you tell me if there is a bolt through the splined pto adapter holding it to the backhoe hydro pump shaft. Your pictures show that area but is not clear if the pump shaft is splined or if there is an splined adapter bolted to the pump shaft.

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes I think so. Here is a quick pic....I will have to take a better one if you need it.[Sim-026.jpg

Thanks Pup and Pumpkin, I can see it sure looks like a bolt through so that must be an adapter. I am eyeing that 15 spline shaft along with a 3/4 ID keyed coupler to weld together and make an adapter if I can't find a factory built unit. Googled for awhile yesterday and didn't find one. Going to call Surplus Center tomorrow and see if they have anything that doesn't show up in catalog. I understand that there were several tractor brands that used the 1" diameter 15 spline PTO configuration. Something to do with the rpm of the PTO

Rick if you need the 1 15 spline shaft there's a guy in wayland that normally has it, wayland outdoor power, it's not cheep tho I bought a piece from him a few years ago.