Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor wheel hubs

TimJr

Does anyone have an early Broadmoor that is the standard version, not the deluxe? I have picked up 3 of what appear to be NOS rear wheel hubs. One is shorter. None have factory part number tags anymore, just handwritten part numbers. 2 matching ones say 156218 and one says 1601390. I am trying to positively identify the parts.

102_5536-2.jpg

The 156218 is a good number for the deluxe rear wheels - the 18x9.5-8 size. The ones I have measure 4.5" from the end of the tube to the inward facing side of the flange. The axle pin hole is 3 1/8" on center from the inward face of the flange. Throwing a tape on my 717 hubs they match. I bought those new about 15 years ago. They are black, but were the correct part.

102_5537-2.jpg

The number 1601390 does not seem to be a good number. The one I have is shorter than the 156218. It measures 4" from the end of the tube to the inward face of the flange. The axle pin hole is 2 3/4" on center from the inward face of the flange. A part number like 1601390 is more of a 1970's part number or maybe an Allis number? The part is Simplicity orange though. Unless it is for a Homesteader?? Maybe I need to get the microfiche fired up to check the Homesteader parts diagram. 156188 is the number for the Broadmoor standard wheel hub.I have a standard Broadmoor, but it is in storage and not easily accessed, so I can't readily measure it. I know the rear wheels and tires are much skinnier on the standards.

102_5536-2.jpg.5f7fc012369972c8e8ecc47ad41638e1.jpg

102_5537-2.jpg.8fb9133061737e4d03227c02b5405b6b.jpg

No rush. A quick look in the parts lists for Yeoman and Serf models looks like they all used wheels that pin on directly to the axle, no wheel hub to bolt the wheel to.

You're right about it being an AC number. It is the RH wheel hub for a B-207 or B-208. These tractors had a peerless transmission which was offset to one side and required two different length hubs. The LH wheel hub for the same tractor is also somewhat shorter than the normal Broadmoor hubs.

Maybe one is set up wider for racing..........':D'

I wish I had a good cross reference for the old Allis part numbers to the Simplicity part number.

Thanks for the heads up on the B208 - I have not been around many of those and I wasn't sure how the wheels were held on them.

OK, so I dug out the old Allis microfiche since I can't seem to find a B208 on any electronic parts lookup.

A B207 and B208 use part number 1601390 on the RH rear wheel, and 1601389 on the LH.

Anyone got a B207 or B208 to measure the rear wheel hubs to see what is what? Thanks, Tim

Interesting, I could never figure it out because I did not go far

enough into the part numbers.

This same size difference probably occurs with the later Broadmoor/B-208 models as well.

Over the years, I have seen the one-piece wheels (from the later models)

with this same spacing difference. I never knew why the difference occurred but it was clearly this..

The very last Broadmoor-style tractor was designated 3008 (1976), and its tranny had been altered so that the left side axle was a smaller diameter than the right (which was the usual 1 inch, I think).

Here again, I have not confirmed a part number difference, but have noted it on several actual tractors.

By that time, there was no equivalent in the AC line. The next year, Simplicity 3008 was a

rear-engine rider and the old Broadmoors/Yeomans/Serfs were completely gone.

Tom

Lloyd -

Are your B-207 wheels the one-piece design or do they have the

separate bolt-on hubs as pictured above?

I guess the Homesteader is the later tractor that had the one-piece wheels!

Tom

Tom, I believe the different sized hubs were limited to the B-207 and B-208 only. This was because they had a Peerless transmission instead of the Simplicity-Built unit in the broadmoors. When the Homesteader 8 came out the Peerless was gone and they were produced with the Simplicity-built transmission once again. The Homesteader used the same wheel hubs as the older Broadmoors. The welded wheels came about somewhere within the production of the 728 tractors. I have one here with the welded hubs and had one previously without them. As far as the rear axle diameters all of mine were the same diameter on both left and right sides. My 5010 Broadmoor was from 1975, last year of production for that frame type, and it had the same size axles on each side. I remember because I replaced the axle seals on it.

Interesting, I could never figure it out because I did not go far

enough into the part numbers.

This same size difference probably occurs with the later Broadmoor/B-208 models as well.

Over the years, I have seen the one-piece wheels (from the later models)

with this same spacing difference. I never knew why the difference occurred but it was clearly this..

The very last Broadmoor-style tractor was designated 3008 (1976), and its tranny had been altered so that the left side axle was a smaller diameter than the right (which was the usual 1 inch, I think).

Here again, I have not confirmed a part number difference, but have noted it on several actual tractors.

By that time, there was no equivalent in the AC line. The next year, Simplicity 3008 was a

rear-engine rider and the old Broadmoors/Yeomans/Serfs were completely gone.

I have not been around any of the 3000 series small frames, but I see the left and right rear wheels are a different part number.

I agree with Chris' observations, but need to look into the possibility of a 728 with separate hubs. I am sure Simplicity used up whatever they had if it would work on the next model to get rid of old inventory.

I need to get out the microfiche again - the electronic parts look ups are wrong with Broadmoor rear wheels. They list part number 170033 for 738 and 727 models. As far as I ever knew, the 6hp, 707, 717 and 727 used the same wheels and wheel hubs. I thought that all 728 and 738 used the same wheels with a built in hub. My brother has a 5010, and it originally had 20x8-10 rear tires, which are different from the earlier Broadmoors that had 18x9.5-8. Pretty certain it was all original - I found it for him after the original owner traded it in. I set him up with a pair of rear wheels off either a 728 or 738 I parted out and we stuck on some 20x10-8 rubber. It looks much better!

I don't know much about the B207/208, but I want a B208 now!

Lloyd - where did you measure from? I did not measure the overall length. I measured from the end of the tube that is toward the center of the tractor, to the flat face of the flange that faces inward to the tractor. I didn't have a tape small enough to fit inside the hub to measure the overall length.

Thanks, Tim

The 5010 parts book shows the same part number for both rear rims, 170033.

The System 3008 parts book shows different rear rims for left and right. These are 8" rims.

171850 LH side

171763 RH side

The 728 and 738 parts books both show 170033 for both LH and RH sides.

Just checked and the 8hp Homesteaders used the separate hub and wheel on the early models and switched to the solid wheel/hub on the later models. The early models more closely resembled a B-208 and the later ones shared more frame and chasis components with the 728 tractors.

Homesteader part#s

1601321 - Old style wheel

2029694 - newer one - piece wheel.

I don't know all about these part #'s but I measured mine from the outside of flange to the end of mounting tube. My wheels bolt to the hubs. This crap with not being able to post pictures again is getting very annoying I could just show what I mean.

Check out my thread on Show and Tell, B207 restore pictures there of what I have, Thank You

So it appears that the little Serf actually used a transmission that

was less robust because one of the axles was a smaller diameter than

was used in the Broadmoors.

They must have used those weaker trannys in the 3008 last Broadmoor.