Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

microfiche

TimJr

A week or so ago, there was a post that got sidetracked into the world of microfiche.Here is a pic of my NOS set of Simplicity and Allis Chalmers cards. The Simplicity set is still sealed, the AC was not when I got it from Simplicity Tech Pubs probably 12 years ago (but I may have opened them to use them - not sure anymore). I was told by Simplicity they were the last sets of complete cards for each brand. I have a second set of Simplicity cards to use, so the NOS ones will stay sealed.

102_5559-2.jpg

Sorry this one is a bit fuzzy, already packed them back up before I downloaded the pics.

102_5560-2.jpg

102_5559-2.jpg.629873e31d1d87171d69281389303682.jpg

102_5560-2.jpg.fa8a9baf71c3dad1d3f07fa10fa0e275.jpg

Next, I would look for a used reader to go with them. Very cool stuff there, and probably a more complete set of parts info than almost any other source.dOddOd

Yes, I have 2 readers - one is vintage Allis Chalmers. I wish I could find a machine that would make prints from a microfiche. About 22 years ago I had access to a machine that would print paper copies of microfiche when I was going to college. I should call their library and see if they still have it. There is some great info in the microfiche that isn't really around anywhere else. I get tired of the errors in the electronic parts look ups that have been wrong for 25 years.

Where I worked, we had a Bell & Howell reader printer. The cost of upkeep was pretty high and it was scrapped when more info became available over the web and we could get dry copy thru our combo fax machine.

I had a set of Simplicity cards and a reader. For many years it was the only way to look up part numbers. The set I had carried up to mid 80s and included the Power Max tractors.Now that the parts and pictures are available digitally, I no longer needed the cards and reader and traded it to ACB12 for his collection.

mViewer.JPG

mViewer.JPG.6400138d3e5910e0181e9a3d54c2b533.JPG

That looks like my reader.

These cards went up to the early 2000's. I have found many errors in the electronic parts lookups. The early Broadmoors have many errors in many of the electronic catalogs, so the microfiche or paper books are still invaluable to me for details and proper information. There are also some of the purple cards that have never been transferred to PDF format that contain some really interesting and useful cross reference and service info.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• PhanDad
    • SmilinSam
    • BLT
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts