Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign 3314H, 3415H, 3416H Differences

ss74nova

Sovereign 3314H, 3415H, 3416H Differences

What are the differences between these models ? Just HP & decals ?

What should I be on the lookout for when I go to purchase one ? I know about the BGB play.

I have never owned a hydro so some of this is new to me.

I've heard about leaky pintle shafts & bad cone clutches. Do these even have a cone clutch ? Can you rebuild a vickers yourself or do you have to take it to a hydraulic shop ?

Thanks,

Tim

3314H New design, 32CID engine rated @ 14 HP, tilt hood stayed with Vickers hydro and belt drive PTO

3415H Updated design, 32 CID engine rated @ 15 HP , Vickers hydro and cone clutch PTO

3416H All of the above, 32CID engine rated @ 16 HP. From here other people can pipe in.

3400 series, in my opinion, were the best looking of all of the Sovereigns, as long as they had the pod lights too. First of the cone clutch setups.

I would look for any excess leaking frommt the Vickers. Beyond that they are great hydro's. Make sure it is fairly clean, if they leak you will see a cooler that is packed with grunge, amongst other gunk.

I agree with the best looking comment. I actually have a 7016H that I put a 3415 hood on, for the pod lights. The 7016 hydros have the sunstrand rear end, for what that's worth. I guess the Vickers are smoother, but the sunstrand will run hydrolift, and if you really get crazy, powersteering.

The 3314H would not have the cone clutch. It still uses the mule drive for the mower deck like the 3200 tractors. Also the 3314 would have a different rock shaft for lifting attachments.

The 3415H and 3416H are the exact same tractors, and they would have the cone clutch.

quote:The 3314H would not have the cone clutch. It still uses the mule drive for the mower deck like the 3200 tractors. Also the 3314 would have a different rock shaft for lifting attachments.

The 3415H and 3416H are the exact same tractors, and they would have the cone clutch.

id="quote">
id="quote">

I did not know that. You learn something new on this site, every day.:)

Is the cone clutch suppose to perform better than the mule drive? I guess it would eliminate the need for belts also.

I guess if I found one of the 3 models it wouldn't matter much to me the type of PTO drive.

Can a manual lift be replaced with an electric lift? Or is it too much work?

quote:Originally posted by ss74nova

Is the cone clutch suppose to perform better than the mule drive? I guess it would eliminate the need for belts also.I guess if I found one of the 3 models it wouldn't matter much to me the type of PTO drive. Can a manual lift be replaced with an electric lift? Or is it too much work?

id="quote">
id="quote">Starting with the 3400 series, electric lift kit 1690392 was available.

Originally posted by BLT
quote:
id="quote">According to this 1971 page for the 3314 it's optional for the electric lift too. ?http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1971/simplicity_14hp.htm

Putting a lift in isn't terrible. I put a hydro lift into a 7000 series this summer. If you have the motor out, you can tip the tractor up on the drawbar, and not have to work upside down. I suppose you could do it with the motor in too, but drain the oil and gasoline first! :D

Originally posted by BLT
quote:
id="quote">Thanks Bob. Your info & knowledge are always appreciated. I can look for that electric lift # if I need to switch one out or have a spare.:)Wow! I think I'm getting ahead of myself. I don't even have a sovereign yet! :I sm00 But it's nice to be prepared.