Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Recent starting issue

jsarro

2 weeks ago I was plowing snow with the 3112V. The tractor was running and starting great, no issues as usual.

I put the tractor in the garage, and it has sat for 2 weeks untouched.

I went to start it last night, the S and G cranks, the motor turns, but does not start.

Does that narrow down my issue to fuel and spark?

The fuel is the same I was using the night I put the tractor away 2 weeks ago. I do leave the fuel jug outside with the yellow breather cap on.

Are those yellow breather caps water tight?

I did notice my kill wire was loose from the points cap, but reattaching it did not seem to fix the starting issue.

I am also wondering, it was snowing the last night I used it? Could the points be the issue. Could something have gotten wet. I pulled the points cover off to visually inspect the points. I did not notice them separating as much as I remember when turning the front PTO. Could the plunger be stuck?

Where do I start to trouble shoot this mysterious starting issue?

Thanks

Could someone also please explain the kill wire set up?

I have a small tab attached to the end of the yellow wire.

This tab seemed to be flimsily held in place under the top screw on the points cover.

How is this supposed to be set up, and is there a more secure way to attach this wire? The tab seems not hold well as the screw is tightened.

Thanks

4 things to check for a non running engine are :

Fuel, Spark, Compression, & Time

I would start by verifying there is no spark. Pull plug wire off & put on a leather glove & hold the wire about 1/8" to 1/4" away from the head or head bolt. Turn key on & crank engine. See if there is a good arc to ground. Should have a noticeable snap sound.

If it has good spark try another spark plug. If you think fuel is a problem spray some gumcutter directly in the carb. It should fire off the gumcutter or dump gas down carb. If compression is a problem could be a headgasket, worn rings or stuck valve. If time is a problem could be a sheared key on crank.

If no spark check to see if any bare wires are touching & grounding out under the points cover or back inside the engine. Also could be a bad condensor.

If I can think of any more I'll post some more.

That piece of "plastic" is actually a piece of 'cambric', a non conductive part to hold your point, coil and ignition wire. By removing the ignition (key) wire, you should be able to start engine and with the key in the off position, tap that wire against the two wires and the engines should stop.

Jack

Check the spark plug as Tim said above. If the spark is weak or non existent change to a new spark plug and gap it before checking again. If no spark/fire move to the points and condenser. Check points gap, regap if necessary and retry the fire at the plug test. If still no spark or weak fire replace both points and condenser OR you can replace with a NovaII points eliminator - its probably less expensive and will have longer reliability.

Note: make sure fuel is flowing to the carb (I've simply forgotten to turn the fuel on a time or two) by pulling the gas line at the carb. If fuel does not flow out of the line check the gas cap for proper vent. If gas cap is off and the fuel doesn't flow you can blow a little air through the line to remove any sediment. Replace the gas filter.

Generally my problem is a bad spark plug and points gap. gw

Thanks for all the great advice. It gives me a place to start. I am sure it is something simple. I will work on it tomorrow and report back.

Thanks

The tractor is all fixed. It is starting and running tip top as usual.

I fixed the loose kill wire and points cover, I don't know if it was grounding out or what exactly happened. I left the points cover off last night. Tonight I put it all back together and it started right up first crank.

I restarted it a half dozen times without issue. It runs like a top.

Either that or I had a fuel lock yesterday and the gas was not flowing properly. Glad to have it fixed.

Thanks again

quote:Originally posted by ss74nova

Glad to hear your back in business.

id="quote">
id="quote">Timothy thanks for all your advice above and others. It helped get my head on straight on how to troubleshoot this issue. dOd

Looking back I think what happened was I flooded the carburetor.

I was on the phone distracted and wanted to start the tractor for a prospective buyer. Initially I forgot to turn the fuel on.

Then I turned the fuel on and had the choke fully out and mistakenly had the throttle fully out. I forgot to push the throttle in from the last time I ran it out of gas.

I cranked the engine a bunch of times like that before I found the throttle out. It would not start.

Then I let it sit a day, and now it starts and runs like it always did tip top.

I think the loose kill wire probably was not the cause.

Back to the basics.