Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AGs Again

laytonlight

Looking at getting some AGs for the 2010 and had some questions. I've shopped the ones listed below. The use will be primarily for snow plowing, drive grading with a belly blade, tilling and possibly plowing. The sizing is based on the turf tires I have on it now.

1) Other than price, any reason to go with the Carlisle or the Deestone for the rears?

2) Will this size fit without any modifications? IE: It won't rub anywhere?

3) Would my chains, which are sized for this size turf tire fit on the AGs if I need them?

4) Would the tri-ribs be better on the front than the lugs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-23x8-50-12-Carlisle-Tru-Power-Lawn-Mower-Garden-Tractor-Lug-Tires-23-850-12-/220864385641?hash=item336c8b1269

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-23X8-50-12-Deestone-6P-Super-Lug-Tires-AG-DS5241-FREE-SHIPPING-/391183251466?hash=item5b1456b80a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4-00-8-4P-Deestone-Tri-Rib-F-2-DS5106-/331568102724?hash=item4d32ffbd44

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4-00-8-4P-Deestone-AG-Super-Lug-R-1-TIRES-and-TUBES-DS5212-/391364223386?hash=item5b1f20219a

As always, thanks for the help.

The only thing I say that matters is how many lay the tire is. Then again that's not true with a CT as a 8 ply truck tire in Discount tire barn is so side wall weak they are scary. Bit were not maneuvering on the highway

The Deestones run smaller overall, and I find they have a shallower lug and a sharper angle to the lugs. The lugs of the carlisle (and better, a Firestone) have flatter, deeper lugs that shovel loose spil and snow better. I sold my deestones after trying TruPowers and Firestones.

I would vote triribs for fronts unless you have no concern for your turf, then reversed AGs are my favorite on the front for steering control.

The 8.50 Deestones seem have the same mold as the original Goodyear 8.50 ag tires. They are not a great tire for traction but are probably better than turfs. As an original purist, in most cases, I will likely put some of the Deestones on a couple of mine, because they look original and are cheap. If you want performance I would spend the extra bucks for the Carlisle.

You won't likely use chains with the bar tires, at least i have not and I suspect you'll need to add a few links. I've pushed snow with B-210 w/23x10.5-12 BKTs. My Early B-10 has 23x8.50-12 Carlisles and is admittedly better gripping. I plow my daughter's garden with my Bumblebee 10 that has 23x8.50-12 BKTs; they grip well & throw dirt when hitting a tough spot or root. I have a pair of Nanco 23x10.50-12s on a 910 as well. If money isn't a problem go with Firestone or Carlisle. If you want something that works on a budget I like the BKT tires. I prefer tri-ribs on the front for steering. I've bought several tires from this guy http://www.ebay.com/sch/k-morrow/m.html?item=361446983805&hash=item5427eb487d%3Ag%3AFFUAAOSwzgRWxeSF&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

He's close enough to you that you can take your rims along and have the tires mounted if you call ahead.

For me, I tried ATV tires, used ones at that.

DunlopAGtires.jpg

They're not hard on the turf unless turf is REAL wet and I use them in the winter. I am on fairly flat land and only got stuck once as there was ice under the snow. For steer tires I us snow hogs off of snow blowers. They're not hard on turf either. Two drive tires were $38.00, two 4.80 and 8" rims were $20.00 and So hogs free from junk snow blower.

Thanks for all the help folks. I'll probably be going with the Carlisle for the rear and the Deestone Tri-Ribs for the front. I'll be using it for some yard work, so I don't want to tear up the grass too much. In side by side pictures I saw of them, the Carlisle looked like the tread depth was much greater than anything else. Gene, thanks for the tip on the guy in Slater. I'l probably just call him up and see if he can shoot me price on the front and rear and I'll take the rims in and have him install them. That sucks about the chains though, I was hoping I could use them. I guess if I get a coating of ice beneath the snow, I can go back to the turfs with the chains. Probably won't be able to steer worth a darn though, lol. I've got a pretty steep drive. Thanks again all!

quote:Originally posted by laytonlight

I guess if I get a coating of ice beneath the snow, I can go back to the turfs with the chains. Probably won't be able to steer worth a darn though, lol. I've got a pretty steep drive. Thanks again all!

id="quote">
id="quote">If you have a steep drive, go with a quality set of Peerless chains with the turfs. http://www.peerlesschain.com/brands/traction/literature-downloads/

I second chains on turfs for winter use on slopes. I tried AGs and plenty of weight on my sloped drive...once. I got to tow my tractor back up the drive. Amusing, maybe.

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I second chains on turfs for winter use on slopes. I tried AGs and plenty of weight on my sloped drive...once. I got to tow my tractor back up the drive. Amusing, maybe.

id="quote">
id="quote">I got to do that one time when I was pushing snow. I was down at the road clearing out what I had pushed down and pushing it off the shoulder when it stopped moving. It wouldn't go in any gear. I was able to push it to the drive and tow it back up to the shop where I found that the Axle Collar had come off allowing the drive hub to disengage. I was able to go back down by the road and find the collar in the snow. This was at night by the way! :o I couldn't believe that the whole wheel and hub didn't come off when I was towing it back up the drive (150 feet) because I was towing it from behind and I didn't tie the steering wheel down in any way so it was meandering back and forth the whole way up the drive. It was one of those kind of things that starts out bad and could have gotten a lot worse, but I was able to jack it up push the hub back together and put the collar back on and finish the job, so I felt pretty lucky when all was said and done. sm06 That's one of the reason I have such an attachment to the Mutt. It had it's problems once in a while but never really let me down (no matter how dumb I was) until it just couldn't go any more. I'm hoping to do a "heart" transplant to the 2010 as I put it back together.

quote:If you have a steep drive, go with a quality set of Peerless chains with the turfs. http://www.peerlesschain.com/brands/traction/literature-downloads/id="quote">
id="quote">Hey Bob, I looked on that site. I'm not sure if they make anything for lawn tractors any more. It's all cars and trucks from what I could see. If you know where they have something for lawn tractors let me know. Thanks for the link though.