Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax rear PTO removal

isetta

Guys I have only taken the PTO and shaft out at the same time as removing repairing the clutch assembly. Is it possible to remove or install the clutch and shaft without taking anything else apart? Will it all go through the top opening? Working on a 9020 now so don't have to deal with the 4040 support bearing.

Phil, you must have a lot of room. I had to unbolt the dash and brake assmebly and loosen the spline coupler on engine to get enough room to remove and replace on my 620. Don't know what others have done but my shaft would not clear hub on trans, going back in was actually harder than getting it out. Just my $.02

Good point Llyod I did not mention that just assumed that was a known part of the process unbolting coupler at motor. After that with the dash cover off there was just enough room to get it out. It's tight but it would come out on mine. I do think the tolerances vary from each machine, one of my other tractors the rear pto when out had a spare sitting on the shelve but the spacers on the flex plate were to big/long and had to be cut down, so either the shaft was just a little longer or the frame/mounting holes for rear end and or motor are different it was a bit of the pain

Thanks guys. I tried very hard to take one out without removing the clutch assembly or the dash tower, felt like Harry Houdini but I believe I could have done it. Easier taking out the clutch.

Rick,

I have removed mine a few times in it's entirety before without separation or removing the dash tower. It's tight but does come out.

How much did you have to work from underneath when removing or installing? This tractor has a loader and backhoe on it and don't cherish pulling those off to put the pto and shaft in

Rick, I wasn't able to take the clutch off shaft and wasn't enough room to clear hub on trans. I had to loosen bolts on dash tower and engine to get enough play to get it out. I did it all from the top. Your loader being on would really make it tough working around it.

Yeah I'm thinking maybe same on my 620 w/loader on and wanting to put a backhoe on someday, I'll run all off Parker Hydro pump for loader. Been doing some research and may just build one, If all goes good may build several, time will tell

Rick,

I flipped the oil cooler off the the side, removed the two yoke bolts & 9/16" spacers, then all the bolts off the rear hub & the "link bolt" that holds the clutch.