Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Running a Briggs on propane

tej

After a double helping of the wife's corned beef&cabbage,I'd like to find an 'adapter kit' for my 12 hp to run off of me! dlc

I think that methane gas takes a different adapter than propane and while the supply of methane may be cheap and abundant especially after a good meal of cabbage or beans, it is more elusive to harness it's powers. For that reason I am more interested in running it on propane. Any help would be appreciated. Tim

Does anyone know if the propane adapter for a cast-iron Briggs is still available and has anyone run a Briggs on propane? The propane setup is shown in my Briggs engine manual mounted on a cast-iron 12hp. Tim

No problem..I convert them all the time. But once they're converted
don't expect to run on gasoline again 'cause I drill out the high speed
jet and install a spud-in adapter for the LP. Then a
load block (to adjust the fuel/air mixture) and a flow regulator and
you're in business. No loss of power..it's beautiful!

How about some technical data here on running a Briggs on propane. Way down yonder in Louisiana we ran our gas farm tractors on propane as well as the pickup trucks. Burned very clean. Tim

Bob, It sounds like you don't use the carb. for anything but a place to hold the spud-in adapter. Could you remove the carb. and install the spud-in adapter in a tube put between the intake manifold and the air cleaner. Tim

Tim I have and old briggs repair manual and when I read your note I thought I remembered reading something about L.P. adjustments for Briggs with L.P....
Needless to say there is a chapter on adjustments for L.P. (this book is my High school small engine repair book I graduated in 1977 )
It also states that you should refer to MS-3915 for a parts list and ordering info on L.P units ,it also says that L.P. conversions can be obtained from
"Garretson Equipment Co".Mount Pleasant,Iowa....by the way they do not use the original carb ,it would appear you get a different carb etc....
Theres no way of knowing if this company is still in business ,but we use to do this for Honda generators where I use to work ,so you should be able to do it for a B&S...
Good luck if you need more info pls e-mail Jim L.

First an answer to Tim..yes you still need the carb in
order to control engine speed (just the same as if it
was running on gasoline).
Jim, Garretson was bought out last year by a larger
outfit but the name is still on the products. I find the
guys at Carb & Turbo Systems in Shakopee MN about the
most knowledgeable anywhere and they're a Garrettson
Distributor.