Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Centrifugal Clutch Longevity

Simplicity7013H

Hi All!

I have a 1976 Carter Brothers gokart with a 5hp Briggs on it. I've owned it for two years now and having problems with the clutches(made by Max Torque). I have learned how to rebuild the clutch and have rebuilt it over 10 times due to the outer clutch drum flying off while driving thus causing the shoes to fling out and hit me in the back. I have recover all the parts except the spring. Does any one else have a problem with these clutches? I have put a bolt in the crank shaft but to no avail. The bolt loosens itself while I'm driving thus causing the failure stated above. Why even when new, does the outer drum want to come off of the clutch assy? It doesn't state to put a bolt on the crank shaft to hold it on but even then, it just unthreads it's self. Time to put LocTite on it??

909c3c82-c246-4206-8959-e69d75af1d0e_zps80xoeuxe.jpg

Elliot, If the bolt does in fact hold it together yes Loctite. any clutches I've had in the past have had snap rings that held them together. Just my $.02

Put it all back together and got it going. Put locktite on the bolt. The clutch would for some reason separate internally regardless of the snap ring on the outside of the clutch. I'll shoot a video for you guys and post it on my youtube channel sometime soon. Thanks for your help!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, Over ten years of Motor racing, self prepare and then race. (you cannot win a race if the car can't finish a race!!!) I have found there are many applications that Loctite will not be enough, and wiring is a cost effective and safe way to go, use WITH loctite. Locite will keep the torque on (if it can) wire will stop it all coming apart. It still needs to be checked on a maintenance schedule. take a look here for lock wire technique. you do not need fancy spin pliers. http://www.bobmartinco.com/pdf/safety_tying_wire.pdf

I give up:( The bushings are wearing down and causing the clutch to stick so now I'm dumping oil inside the clutch to make it work. I tried to start it but instead of me driving it, it had a mind of its own and took off and busted the neighbors fence8C. Seriously.... I really think its time for a new clutch.