Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Moldboard Plow Bent? (Update)

1978Simplicity7016H

Hi all!

I just bought this plow for my B-10. I noticed from the start that the very front of the plow frame was bent (where the sleeve hitch bolts to the plow frame), but once I got it home I noticed the adjusting rod was bent, and once I looked at it from the top, I knew the whole frame is bent. I have a torch and will be able to bend it back, but before I tear into it I just wanted to make sure it isn't supposed to be bent. This is my first plow.

I don't have pictures of it right now, but he still has the ad up. Real nice guy.

https://southbend.craigslist.org/grd/5459532969.html

I bought this since my friend has a Cub Cadet with a plow and he is going to a local GT plow day, so I'm going too.:D I also just always have wanted one.

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCyEN8aqI6rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdf

According to this manual, item J (End assembly, plow beam) is bent on my plow. I am pretty sure this is bent since the weld is cracked at the top and since it looks straight in the pictures. I do know that the “C” shaped hitch that the pin goes through is welded at an angle, but the actual plate that bolts to the frame is bent.

My main question: is the main frame (item C) supposed to be bent toward the passenger side of the tractor?

I'm not real familiar with this style of plow but don't believe it should be bent. I do however question a 15in. plow with a 725, Just my $.02

The hitch should be tilted to the left you're traveling, and when you're turning dirt, the plow will be in a vertical position so it pulls straight.

center>

quote:Originally posted by 720nut

I'm not real familiar with this style of plow but don't believe it should be bent. I do however question a 15in. plow with a 725, Just my $.02

id="quote">
id="quote">just advertised wrong. No way that is a 15" plow, probably 8" comparing the share to the hitch adapter.

quote:Originally posted by 720nut

id="quote">
id="quote">I don't think the guy measured it right, does it look too big? I am going to test it tonight and see if it will work or not behind the 7016 3-speed.EDIT: Thanks Rokon, I didn't think it looked HUGE.BLT: tonight will be my first time plowing so maybe I am looking at it wrong, but why is the adjusting yoke rod bent? You wouldn't be able to turn it since its bent.I will test tonight and get some pictures. I'm pretty sure that front plate is bent though. If you look at the pic in the ad, the hitch looks tilted too much to me.

You'er going to need some loamy soil to shine the plow share up. I didn't see the lift bar in the CL picture, item 9 in your download..

Oh, about that, well luckily I found a driveshaft from a outboard motor that drives the propeller.:I WORKS PERFECT THOUGH! Put it on the back of the 7016 when I got it home and it fits perfect in the rear lift and has a hole on the end that the chain buckle bolts to. I was too tired to get it out and test it though. Long day of driving up north and didn't even know if it would work anyway.

(My dad works on boats but I don't have that much interest in them, I like my engines to be on four turf tires):D

That's a ten inch, looks just like mine. I have bent the same plate on mine from backing up in plowed ground, the point doesn't clear the ground by much on my setup. Take a fine wire brush on a drill to it to get rid of the most of the rust. Old farmer trick is a soft type of building brick soaked in water to scrub off the rust. BTW, good price on the plow.

Thanks! I didn't mind too much that it was bent a little for the price. I bent the plate back last night and tried it out. WORKS GREAT! Then I saw the neighbor getting the mail, so I approached him and asked if he would part with his plow. (I saw it in his back yard when I mowed his yard with my Simplicity 7016 when his Crapsman broke down). We went back there and there was a Brinly plow and a disk. Neither were in good shape so I offered him $30, he accepted since he just wanted them out of his yard.

So.... I just bought two plows within three days!:D

The Brinly:

•No coulter, should be able to find a new one?

Disk: needs work but is complete.

Good Deal?

He has a Cub Cadet but only uses it for the snowblower. Now he has someone plow his drive. He's VERY lazy.

Thanks everyone for your input and interest. I will get it bent back somehow and then will move on to the Brinly, and will probably end up making something for the hitch. The Brinly (8 inch)will be pulled by Simplicity7013H's Landlord. And the Simplicity plow(10 inch)will be pulled by my B-10 (12hp Briggs) and/or my 7016 at the plow day.

I used the disk last night and it works but needs a little attention.

Monterrey, IN

Saturday, March 26,2016

9a-9p

https://www.facebook.com/events/431508600392898/?active_tab=highlights

"Plow day planned for March 26th (weather permitting) near Monterey Indiana, 50 acres in two fields, bean stubble, sandy loam ground, plenty of room to park trucks and trailers, all brands garden tractors welcome, 9am start time, 11877W 275N Monterey, Indiana 46960, Contact: Phil 574-835-3747"

Please feel free to come I hope to see a member or two there!

Did more plowing and disking last night before the rain.8C

Anyone with suggestions on the Brinly plow? I will probably end up making something or try to bend the plow hitch reciever to fit the Simplicity hitch.

B-10 did well plowing with the turf tires. I'm planning on putting ags on it. Do you guys think that turfs with chains would be fine for Elliott? Weights?

I would think chains would work just fine, most plow days are held in a farmer's field and not compacted sod so the plowing is pretty easy. Those Simplicity plows pull quite easy when setup correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally got to the plow, and unded up just using my dads press. Got her all bent out back straight. Saturday Elliott (Simplicity7013H) and I will be going down to the plow day. Elliott said he will take video footage of the event.

Oh, and I also got a THIRD plow with my newest Soveriegn. Really cashed in on that. He previously had a Landlord, so he had a bunch of garden attachments for that.

•10" Garden Plow

•Grader Blade

•Mid-mount Cultivator

•Cultivator

So, I will take the B-10 and Elliott with his Landlord.

Stay tuned for updates!:)