Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spring is close (even more fun)

GWGAllisfan

Here in North Georgia, it's starting to get warm, the grass is growing.:).. And every tractor battery I have is dead.:(...Not only dead, but won't take a charge and recover....Best price I've found on a 51R was $90... Oh, well haven't bought tractor batteries since 2012.... The dead 51R was bought in 2009.... Can't really be too upset, but still not happy...

Just needed to complain to some people who would understand the frustration....

Hello, Sometimes the water (electrolyte) gets low . In the old days we would add distilled water to the proper level.

Thanks Ken in Mi

I have recovered many batteries that are tagged "non-recoverable". First check the electrolyte, and top off. Then put them on a non electronic trickle charger for several days and Voila' you have a good battery.

The trick is most newer chargers have a "brain" and when the battery is completely dead the brain cannot determine if the leads are hooked up correct, so it will not charge.

Even older variable 6 to 10 amp chargers kick out right away because of the draw. You need a fixed output charger. I have a 1 amp that works great.

I, too have gone thru the "bad" indication on at least 2 batteries. Kept shutting off charger, reattaching many times at a trickle, and have finally brought them back. One battery lasted 2 years after that "rebirth". Sometimes, tho, I simply have had to buy a new battery. Keeping a trickle charger on most of my batteries now, and moving from one to another during the winter to try to keep all of them going. Working well so far.

Last year or the year before I think I spent about $350 on batteries..

All are running so far without having to charge this year. Got one left to try, but I think it will need at least an hour on the charger to work.

I knew you all could understand the aggravation. The two batteries I messed with are as surely dead as I can tell. One has 12+ volts resting voltage, and drops to around 5 with any load, even after having been charged for hours I tried all the tricks, low amperage, attcah another battery, etc.

The other battery ( A 350 CCA L&G type) I can actually here sizzling and gassing. If those two newest are bad, then there is little doubt about the others in the fleet. I'll try them first, but it's likely they are dead, too.

Still can't be too upset about going that long without buying new batteries.

Much of the time the cause of the failure is sulfation on the plates in the batteries. Batteries left in a low charge state for extended periods will sulfate more quickly. Sulfation is the buildup of lead sulfate crystals on the plates of the battery. It is normal for batteries to build up these crystals over time but the process speeds up when the battery is less than fully charged especially in hot and cold weather. Keeping the battery on a maintenance charger especially during colder months can greatly extend the batteries life.

If your batteries tend to run low on fluid and need topping off then you likely have an overcharging issue causing the battery to overheat. You should check the voltage output from your regulator.

Knock on wood, I have several batteries now that are older than 5 years. One is a 2009. I bring them inside and store them in the basement in winter. I check the electrolyte level and put them on a trickle charger 2x during that period. It's served me well and saved me $.

I bought some desuffators and have been able to keep batteries working for going on 10 years, including some for a truck and a solar powered cottage.

If you are looking for a battery I got mine at Batteries plus for $59.99 plus tax. they sell duracell batteries and have had mine for a year and still going strong.

If you do a Google search on "battery desulfator" you will find a lot of good references, including a good fact or fiction test (which proved they work). They basically clean up the plates by getting rid of the lead sulfate build up. They do it by electric pulses.

There is a lot of contradictory information on desulfators out there but a lot of people seem to be having good experiences with them both extending the life of their batteries and recovering batteries thought to be dead.

I have one I am attempting to recover batteries with but it is a very slow process and I think this is intended more towards maintenance desulfating than recovery of batteries with hardened sulfate on the plates.

You can certainly greatly extend the life of your batteries by making sure they are fully charged before left to sit for any length of time and checking periodically that nothing is causing any drain that requires topping the battery off again.

You are best off charging your batteries when they are not already heated up after heavy usage or trying to charge them under extreme cold conditions as too hot and too cold during the charging process shortens the life of the battery. At least that is my understanding based on what I have read. This applies mainly to lead acid type batteries. Every type of battery using different materials have different considerations. LiPo batteries can be damaged by being left in severe cold. Lithium Ion batteries should be left at half charge if not being used for extended periods, etc.

I sure that most know this but Do Not store lead acid batteries on a concrete floor. Always store them on a non-conductor like a block of wood or plastic.

Even more fun:

I bought the new battery, installed it and as part of an around the house workday, tried to mow the yard. After about 30 minutes, the center mower blade bolt loosened and the blade fell off. I found the blade and the spline washer, cup washer and bolt, and put it back together. Mowed one more pass and PTO belt broke. That is the one belt I didn't have a spare on the shelf for. While I was considering trying to get another tractor running or swapping a different size deck to this on, I get a call someone was sick at school, and so mowing ended for the day... At least the front is mowed.... I now have a decent belt from a mower supplier in the next town, so when the cold I caught this weekend goes away, maybe I can finish mowing...

Some times you just can't win....

I've got a motor home that has a electric voltage inverter. It automatically desilfates the house batteries. I had the last battery bank last 5 years.

A trick that will fool most battery chargers is to connect to a good battery first,then move quickly to the dead battery. Sparks created could be deadly, so care should be taken. Also, connecting a good battery in parallel to a dead battery will charge the dead one. Connect the ground or hot led on the dead, and the opposite on the undead. Once you get the charger fooled and a small charge is in the dead, put the charger on the dead. I buy batteries every 4-5 years, simply by putting a trickle charge on in off season to keep the batteries charged. I use 450 CCA batteries in 2 lawnmowers. Using a battery that hot requires an engine that starts easily. Grinding of the starter trying to get an engine to start, burns up the starter.