Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

32'' Tiller Adjustment

RandyBuxton

RandyBuxton

Could someone reply with the length and width of the spring that goes on the adjustment screw handle. A picture would be nice too.

Also, should something be moving when I turn the adjustment handle? I don't see any change in belt tension when I turn the handle.

Thanks

What happened to the one I sold Wayne (grinchyone) is the pivot location I have marked with arrows seized up. Had to grind out the weld on one end of the pivot pin and press it out of the rust. I think I put a grease fitting in to prevent further rust problems.As far as the spring, fairly stout wire and scale it to the pic and the washer size above and below.Maybe some one with an early tiller can measure it up for you.

tillrivve.jpg

RandyBuxton

Yes, mine is rusted up as indicated. But why is there a woodruff key and a set screw if that is the pivot point?

quote:Originally posted by GregB

What happened to the one I sold Wayne (grinchyone) is the pivot location I have marked with arrows seized up. Had to grind out the weld on one end of the pivot pin and press it out of the rust. I think I put a grease fitting in to prevent further rust problems.As far as the spring, fairly stout wire and scale it to the pic and the washer size above and below.Maybe some one with an early tiller can measure it up for you.

tillrivve.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">

The key and set screw keep AB and AD lined up so they dont twist. Part AF is actually the one that pivots on the pin. When it's working it makes more sense. The adjuster will actually push the pulley further away from the tractor to tighten the belt.

I can try and get a measurement of my spring tonight if it's still intact.

RandyBuxton

Ok now I understand how it works. I'll keep on it with the torch. And then I need to find and buy an 8 or 10 inch pulley for the trans drive. Jacks didn't have either Simplicity pulley.

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

The key and set screw keep AB and AD lined up so they dont twist. Part AF is actually the one that pivots on the pin. When it's working it makes more sense. The adjuster will actually push the pulley further away from the tractor to tighten the belt.I can try and get a measurement of my spring tonight if it's still intact.

id="quote">
id="quote">

GrincheyOne

In my own defense, Some pics of the tiller I bought!

Image036.jpg

Early last summer, I broke ground for a small garden plot...Was delayed for weeks, since the PO of my '69 Landlord, did a really bad repair of the "tow bar" portion of the rear lift. Had most of the tiller hitch assy.apart, and the spring went MIA.

Image033.jpg

The next challenge was to replace the "tow bar" with the one from my'65 Big10 parts machine. then replace the standard 7" drive pulley with the transmission drive parts, provided by Greg. This kit ncluded the 10" diam x 3/4" bore pulley from ACE hardware.This is what you need for the drive...

transmission drive.jpg

You WILL have to adjust the clutch and brake linkage to accommodate the new belt/pulley combo. This is Simplicity's spiel on the tillerhttp://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8aqM6rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdfalthough the actual belt spec is 5/8x44, I suggest a 5/8x45 to make the clutch adjust easier. (either will work however).It will look like this...

Image035.jpg

(the small white sticker says"ACE)The spring (part "AL" in parts list) is Simplicity part #8191047 and has been superseded to new part #1729278. It should be available from your Simplicity dealer or online.I'll look at some spare parts from my old "round top"

Image036.jpg.0a453eb05f9fa63eb92e2268628903fb.jpg

Image033.jpg.a1d9a85cd0d8b3e587e8474d6494f210.jpg

57e062930970a_transmissiondrive.jpg.f41d1866b74a2d3d69cbed9c02f42dee.jpg

Image035.jpg.279e07e5c0f6159f5ec344f43b7fe0d0.jpg

GrincheyOne

Randy,

I dug into theparts boxes for my #990174 32" tiller. The spring I found appeared to be well compressed from age, and use. It has an ID of at least 3/8", and a wire diameter of about 3/32". The length as I said was well distorted. To me it appears that a compression spring from the roller adjuster on a 42" deck might be a resonable substitute, although searches on the net last night found a couple of suppliers that had the spring required ranging between $2 and $5.

Wayne