Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

DLX power steering question

simplewrench

Hello all. I picked up a 2000 Landlord DLX a couple weeks ago. It has a 20 hp Briggs with power steering power lift and a 54" deck. At the time I was making a toy box for my granddaughter and just got into the DLX. The question I have is about the steering. It has about a eighth turn of slop in the steering. Is this a usual issue with these? This is the first tractor I have had so I need some guidance.

My brother has a DLX with power steering, and his got sloppy and gave up the ghost. It was the bushing and steering gear assembly under the tractor. He was able to purchase the parts and replace everything. Like new now. Not too expensive as I recall, and my brother, love him dearly, isn't very mechanically inclined. Yet he did the repair himself, so I think it's rather self explanatory and relatively easy to replace.

The front pivot bolt gets loose as well, where the front axle mounts to the tractor. Check that first. I had one with the same issue. I greased and tightened it up, and it was like an 85 buick park avenue with power steering!:D