Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Removing steering wheel on B-110?

macallis180

Looks like the shim in the dash is worn out. The column moves all over in the dash, so would like to fix. I see the manual said to use a leather hammer to put steering wheel on, but apparently never figured that it would need to be removed! Probably didn't think the tractor would last near 50 years!

I have tried to hit spokes with a rubber hammer, but nothing moves. If there was a set screw in the hole at one time, it is gone. Had sprayed some PB Blaster in the set screw hole ahead of time, but hasn't seem to have helped. Don't know if the cap comes off, tried a little, but don't want to ruin the cap.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I think dynamite is the only way to remove some of them. You can't use much heat because of the plastic, and you can't use a puller because you'll break the plastic, and repeated soaking with PB or similar doesn't seem to be enough. I have had to literally cut some off. Maybe someone here has a trick.

If you disconnect the bottom, you should be able to pull it up far enough to use a puller without hurting the plastic.

Sometimes the bushing wears off the lip at the top that holds it up, and slides down out of the hole.

If that is the case, you can slide it up and put a hose clamp under it, under the dash out of sight, to fix it without tearing it apart.

Also, I've had a couple, not sure which models, that when unhooked at the bottom if you pull real hard you can force the bottom yoke up through the tube and take it out in one piece.

I think, Dan, that the lip is gone, as I can see approx. 1/4" of what appears to be a toothed rubber? shim underneath the dash steering hole.

Wondering if I can put a hose clamp on it to compress enough to get it started back in the hole? Looks like someone put a hose clamp beneath it some years ago, but it must have slid down many, many years ago. Previous owner says steering shaft was always loose like that and wondered if I knew how to fix it ( I didn't).

Any better ideas than the squeezing with a hose clamp to get it back in??

Thanks.

If the lip is gone you shouldn't have to compress it. It should fit in the hole. Might be tight on the shaft from years of corrosion so might be hard to slide.

Took yoke off on bottom. Top lip was still there, not seized, but teeth were worn off where it goes thru dash. Put small strip of pipe insulation in spot where teeth were worn, taped it up, and was able to push it back down thru dash. Not perfect, but much better.

Thanks, Dan.