Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2000 Sovereign w/ Triad Concerns?

1978Simplicity7016H

Hey guys! Over the weekend I picked up a 2000 Sovy and yes, it has a triad.

Before everyone comes down on me about how bad the Triad is:

It's NEVER been used to mow (no dust or grass clippings) Deck has never been used (pulley has no belt wear= still covered with paint) The guy also had a Scag.

It was only used to throw the snow off the guys driveway.

He used it a little to till his garden.

So, I did pull the side tins off and everything is clean and the valve covers have been sealed with rubber cement. Air filter is clean. Runs very smooth. It does smoke a little upon start up.

The whole tractor is clean but the side of the hood is a little scratched from the snowblower chute rod when he put the blower on.

I know the guy kept the oil up: he sold me my 7016 and its motor is still running strong.

Any suggestions to keep this Triad running?id="red">

Someone on here said the fuel pump hurts the cam?

Sounds to me if a person was to buy a tractor with a Triad engine that you have found the right one! Maintenance and vigilance with regards to oil level are key to long life and good performance.

Best of luck.

Daniel, if you use the search function here, and also select the 'archive' feature, there are volumes written by both novices and pros (legitimate professionals) on exactly what to do, with photos.

Thanks Josh, but I have looked through the archives. Do all these engines need in the means of special care is to make sure oil doesn't get on the fins and the air filter isn't full of grass? Gees! People make is sound like they are literally a time bomb! Personally so far I think it is a nice engine. It's quiet and runs smooth. Pretty good an gas too! I was would like to keep it running as long as it can! I have heard most parts are NLA? Well, sadly it isn't going to be my main machine. I will leave the mowing to the SunStar. I would like to use it for snow though.

I guess I will keep on a' searching through the archives!:D

So if it's going to be a machine for snow, would you sell the deck? I'm looking for one.... figured it couldn't hurt to ask

Phillobbezoo: thanks for your interest but, sorry, I'm not interested in parting with the deck. Since it is brand new it is something neat just to hang on to and look at. Let's face it, it's one of the last of the deep-shelled decks. IMO, the best deck ever made!

So, I tried to look for information about the fuel pump, any particular reason why I should replace with a different pump? Everything works as it should so I don't want to tear into it for no reason.

Al had faith in these engines, and so do I. I will do a little more research, but so far it runs cool, and it is clean. Hopefully this motor has faith in me and doesn't blow on me!XX(

Excellent info in link provided by Maxwell.

The short answer for changing fuel pump - without the pump the plastic valve cover doesn't have the periodic flexing which causes the O-ring seal to eventually leak. Then oil collects grass/dirt, cylinder runs hot, drops sleeve.

I would do the mod that all eden posted, and run it. You can watch for a command to drop in, in the mean time. the triad is better on gas, smoother, and quieter. But it has its issues and less power than the command. That being said, heck to just blow snow and till, I would not worry.

Ok Thanks Everyone! Can't do much on it now since this plow day is coming up. I thought about taking the Sovereign but don't know if it will fit on my trailer. Focusing on the B-10 right now.

Power Steering: is it possible to transfer the PS from my parts SunStar to the Sovereign? I guess search the archives for that too.

Well, found out about the SunStar to Sovy PS pretty quick, it will work but need Sovy brackets, spindle collar and linkages, oh well.

I make the NLA power steering parts (steer motor mounting plate, cylinder mounting bracket, upstop plate and arm assembly) for the Sovereign.

I have a 2000 Sovereign too that had a Triad in it. I liked the engine too. Smooth and quiet. However I saved up some money and bought the Command repower kit from Al Eden. Hopefully I'm set for the next 30 years (I also have a 1975 Sovereign still going strong). I advertised the Triad on Craigslist and a guy came almost immediately and bought it. I know I wouldn't have had to do the conversion...just wanted to. With care I think the Triad will work well. Maybe one should think about changing the timing belt? I I dont know if that's a maintenance item like in a car. Can anyone opine? I don't know if the Triad is an interference engine or not. Obviously makes a big difference in deciding to change the belt or not as a maintenance item!