Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Can I Add This??

Simplicity7013H

Hello, I have a 23D that's about shot. It burns a lot of oil and smokes like crazy!

Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer advertises that it reduces oil consumption. Is this a feasible option to help with smoking and oil consuMption? I don't know of much else ii can do without rebuilding it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Elliott

Don't waste your money. I don'tknow of any product that will add dimensions to a worn out ring set and/or rebuild a bore. You have an engine that might be close to 50 years old.

At the very least hone and re-ring would be the best option. Most of those products are just snake oil, and some will make things worse if they swell the seals. That being said, I had an old craftsman with a tired briggs that came with a can of Engine restore. That stuff actually did seem to work. When it started to smoke I would add some and it would mostly go away and run better. It was far from a long term fix since I had to add it periodically, but it did seem to work. Of course the results would depend on how bad the cylinder is, or if it has cracked or stuck rings.

I think Lucas works, but it's more preventative than repair.

A shot engine is a shot engine.

My thoughts on Lucas engine treatment.

When I was delivering campers with a buddy, we both had 96 Powerstrokes, same transmission.

Mine got a quart of Lucas every oil change 5000 plus miles each.

Quaker State oil.

His did not use Lucas, did oil changes every 3000 miles.

Mobil oil.

When I retired my truck it burned about 2 quarts in 5000 miles. Retired at over 800,000 with a strong engine and blown rear end.

His retired at around 600,000 burning about 4 quarts between 3000 mile oil changes and retired due to power loss.

I'm sure driving habits and other factors come into play, but I'm sold on Lucas, I ran that truck HARD.

Cylinder is for sure out of spec. I can wobble the piston inside the bore. Might just find a good used 23D. Zippo said that he would trade me a good 23D for mine and some $$. Thanks Guys!

After your rebuild run stp oil treatment in it. The stp has zinc added in it that the epa took out of our engine oils for cold start up reasons. The zinc is still the highest standard for anti wear. I run it in everything. We have had some irrigation engines with many thousands of hours on them still with cross hatch in the bores and the outer most bearing layer was still there.

I never tried it, but someone once told me to sprinkle Bon Ami into the carburetor while the motor is running. The Bon Ami will glom onto the rings and increase compression. Even if it does work, of course it is just delaying the inevitable. So the real question is,do you want a 50 year old original or a repower, with a new, more efficient engine? They will both cost about the same.

I think at this point, run it till I find another good 23D to swap in.

Josh: Zippo said he would trade me a good 23D for my bad 23D & a bit of extra cash (I feel bad just giving him a bad motor so I'll pay him extra)

DON"T use bon ami unless you want to wear out your rings. That trick was an "old timers" trick to get rings to seat that did not want to seat. The bon ami is abrasive, that is how it works.

Ken

I haven't done much to it. Just sitting which is kinda a let down since I just restored my Squrie but the motor is shot|)