Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

e-Bay B-10 Seller speaks

I just thought I'd let the collectors know that the buyer (& his family) already own 3 b-10's. Dan stopped during the auction to check it out first. He was impressed with its nice original condition and minor wear, tires included. I was very impressed with his knowledge of these machines and the fact that his father used to work for A-C. I was truly impressed when he arranged to pick it up the following morning, paid for it in full, and took it home on an Allis-Chalmers tilt bed trailer. I am trying to attach a picture of it. Dan told me he would have been willing to spend up to $1,200 for the package. I told him that about 18 mos. ago I paid $900 and spent another $500 to haul it from Vermont to Wisconsin. I'm glad it went to a good home. On another note, during the auction, I rec'd an e-mail from a gentleman from the West coast, asking me to trace the swath board, and grass rod. I did so, sent it to him, and also e-mailed him some pics. I asked him to be kind enough to share the information with other collectors who may need the info. He agreed to submit the info to this site when he was done with it. http://home.wi.rr.com/hoampage/danstrac.jpg

Woodydel
That's a nice post John..Was it iteresting to see people posting about your auction?Woody

CleanBee
Hi, I am the other good looking one in the photo above. As you can see, I was very happy to pick up the tractor and its attachments. John is an outstanding person, and I envy him for his collection of play toys. I must say he has good taste in the equipment that he collects. You should have seen the glow on my mothers face when I pulled in the driveway with this tractor on my late fathers trailer. She even stated "I see him smiling now". I will attach two pictures of it on the trailer at my parents house. Thanks again John. It will get a good home. Dan

Kent
Hey Guys -- this is a "must have" story for the Gallery... how two club members dealt with this, and each are very pleased with the results... Would each of you write a little more of "your side of the story" ? Dan, would you share the pictures....

schaefer72
hi guys - i was the one that received the tracings and pictures of the swath board - as soon as i get a chance i will scan them and send them into the site - so anybody can make a swath board for their sickle bar - as i have noticed alot of them are missing as is mine - see ya

jackcobb
I was leaving Harley - Davidson (work) tonight at 4:30, heading west on I-94 out of Milwaukee. In the far right lane, bumper to bumper trafic I caught a glimpse of an A-C logo. Then the back of an old L&G seat. As I got closer, I could make out the B-10. Then I saw the mower deck and sickle bar on the far back of the trailer. Knew it had to be the one from E-bay. I recognize the driver from your picture. He was smiling all the was towards the sunset. Good luck!

MPH
Somebody has to say it "And they all lived happy everafter". This sites cool..MPH

MPH
Yes, it was interesting to watch the speculation. I knew, intuitively, that it was unlikely to go over $1,000, since transportation logistics can be a nightmare. Since there was a request for "The Rest of the Story", I'll try to flesh it out a little. As a kid growing up, I had 5 relatives with farms. I had the ability to take tractor rides whenever we visited the UP of Michigan, 240 miles away from Milwaukee. There was no shortage of machines to choose from: Case, Deere and A-C. I always seemed partial to A-C. The WD's, and later in life, 170 and 180 were easy to operate. In the mid 80's I bought my own WD complete with semi-mount sickle bar mower. My sister's father - in - law presented me with a complete shop manual for it. He was the purchasing manager for A-C at the time, and pulled strings. I had a great time with it, repaired it extensively, and sold it after I got married. Up until a couple of years ago, there was a Brooks Stevens Museum less than a mile away from my home. They had advertising memorabilia and documentation because he had designed them back in the 30's & 40's. They had ads showing the farmer driving his tractor to church because he thought it was stylish. About 24 mos. ago, I decided that I wanted to have a small tractor with a sickle bar mower, to mow along my lot line. I thought I'd be stuck with a "B", or larger. While cruising this site, I discovered that sickle bar attachments were available for garden tractors, and rethought my future. I went through the ads on this site, and found a seller in Vermont. The gentleman, I believe, was retired. He described it well, and was congenial about me making arrangements to get it here. He severely understated the condition of the sicklebar attachment. I did have to fashion a new drive bracket to bolt the bar to the rod end bearing. I also made a new bracket for the swath board. I didn't like being so close to the grass rod when the bar is lifted into the transport position. I kept all of the original parts and sent them along with Dan. As I told Dan, I was glad to see him get the tractor. I got 22 bids, 14 of them had sunglasses. I don't know what your experiences have been with e-Bay novices, but mine haven't been pretty. I know the tractor will have a great home, and will be preserved for posterity. This site has been a class act, and great resource for me, and I hold it in high regard. Although I no longer own an A-C product, I have many fond memories of the company & its products. I'll keep watching this message for awhile. Thanks for the help! John

MPH
Is that trailer OEM or someones creation? MPH

Kent
It's factory, MPH -- it's made by Snow, sold by Allis-Chalmers as a Tow-Bee....[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/tow-bee.htm'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/b_attachments_images/tow_bee.jpg'][/a]

ToddS
This story just plain "ROCKS" it is so rare that a story come true with such a happy ending and it also is so neat that this world we live in is so small at times. Just plain neat, >>->happyjack<-<<

MPH
Thanks Kent. That is sweet looking. I see they have the tail-end built the way I plan to modify my old snow-go trailer if I ever get to it..MPH

Kent
CleanBee, The picture you're trying to link doesn't work. It is visible only to MSN Community members who've logged in... Kent

CleanBee
Hi, This trailer was used by Allis-Chalmers to transport B-series tractors and implements to and from various farm shows and state fairs to promote their products. My Father purchased it from the company around 1973. He would help with the display set-ups and he even designed a "Black Box" that would play a tape describing the equipment and trigger solenoids to operate the equipment automatically in sync with the tape. I recall seeing this operate on a Gleaner combine at a show N.W. of Milwaukee. My Dad began work for the company in West Allis straight from college with an Ag Engineering degree. He remained there until they moved to Atlanta. He bought new from Allis an early and a late b-10, and many of the implements for them. The early b-10 was one of the tractors that would be displayed at the shows. He drove it home straight off its display platform from the Wisconsin State fair. I heard that the elevated platform was round and rotated with the b-10 and its implements on top. He used the equipment to landscape the yard. After he retired from Allis, he began a full restoration of the early b-10. This seemed to be an enjoyable hobby for him. Every bushing, bearing, and seal was replaced with new parts. Then, for many years, the incomplete chassis just sat. Soon, his health began to falter. The fall before he passed away, I was honored with completing his project. He was too weak to get up and see it, so we utilized a camcorder. Although, he could hear it through the window. I recall him saying how strong it sounded. My mom enjoys using it to mow her yard. I think it brings her closer to him in a way. The tractor is simply beautiful; one would think that it came straight from the factory. I am one of four of his sons. All four of us earned money as children by mowing yards. Our mowing jobs consisted of neighborhood full acres, banks, nurseries, and church lots. All of us earned and bought either Allis or Simplicity equipment. I once owned a Simplicity Surf 525 and a Wonderboy. Now I have an early b-10 and a b-110. Each of my other brothers still has their wonderboys with the pogo-sticks, one brother has a b-208, and the other now owns this tractor, except the sickle. As entertainment we would race our tractors at the Okauchee Days fair. My oldest brother and I would drag race up the road prior to the race. I won. He went back to his shed and did some tweaking. At the fair grounds he tied for first. I came in third. I heard that he and the other guy collided head-on with their tractors immediately afterwards while they turned around. I guess it was quite a sight. My other older brother came up the rear with his wonderboy, doing a wheelie all the way. These tractors are not only fun but they are practical. While driving from John’s house, I heard a new county song called Drive. It’s about cherishing childhood memories of the first times we got behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle. For many of us, this was the family tractor. I personally recall feeling on top of the world. That was until I had to hit the brake. I was too young and my legs were too short and that shift knob is in a dangerous spot. Thanks for reading some of my personal connections to these tractors, and I hope see you at the local shows. This sight is great. Dan http://www.simpletractors.com/transfer/images/dscf-danielstoy2.JPG

MPH
Nice story Dan, no doubt that ole tractor found a good home and will most likely be in cherry shape for your grandkids to talk about, if we're allowed to keep 'em that long, you looked like a "kid" by the trailer, lest to and old ----..MPH