Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Must be getting old!

steve-wis

I ordered and received a new set of spindle bearings for my Yeoman 627 deck. Today was about 52 deg. here in Iowa, not much going on, and grass is already starting to grow, so it was a perfect time to get after the rebuilding of the deck. Took off the covers, nice and clean underneath. Had replaced both belts last summer, so all came apart easily. Spray down the nuts with PB blaster, have a cup of coffee, and impact spins off the nuts with no problem. Screw the nuts back on just short of being flush with the end of the spindles, spray down the pulleys, and have another coffee. Start on the worst spindle, giving it firm blows with a dead blow hammer. No movement. Take the torch and heat up the pulley, hit the nut some more, but no movement. Take a steel hammer and get a bit more aggressive with the impacting. Starts to move a bit, but the nut is hammered down a bit crooked now. Remove the nut, the threads in the nut and the end of the spindle are damaged. Turn the spindle to examine threads closer and see what I forgot. Have you all guessed by now? Yup, set screw still nice and tight. :(:( Loosen the set screw, and off it comes, nice as can be. I left the other two for next week, after I take the spindle and nut to work and do a bit of thread repairing. On the bright side, the bearings I took out are definitely shot, so it needed the change.

Being Easter tomorrow, I realize that if that spindle is the biggest problem I have today, I am a lucky and blessed guy.

Happy and blessed Easter to everyone!

Steve

Thanks for the Easter chuckle Steve! We have all been there...be glad you didnt turn right back around and do the same thing a 2nd time!

Sounds like that 627 is in great hands. Might be a nice Easter treat for me to get the B206 down for JR to drive a bit.

FYI guys, the replacement stamped steel pulleys do not have a set screw.

That being said, Steve, you might not be as "old" as you thought you were. LOL:Dsm00

Sure, Tim. Just when I had him ready to move this to "Senior Moments" you step in and help him out.........sheesh......

No Tim, I am afraid I am as old as I think I am, but after doing who knows how many spindle rebuilds, you would think that would be a no-brainer! And I probably would have posted in senior moments, but I think I forgot there is a "senior moments" area. Is that another senior moment?

Anyway, spindles are all re-assembled and ready to go, but I noticed a bit of rust thru on the deck in the narrow indented pockets that run from next to the center spindle outward towards the outer spindles. I think I will lay a pc. of 1/4 dia. round in the corners of them and weld them in before I finish it up. Otherwise, it is good to go, at least I think it is, if I didn't forget anything!

Steve