Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 engine tear down

blangkabel

So this last year and a half has been the worst for me however, I am finally ready to start working on my small fleet. I have 4 9020,s a 7117 and a sun runner. The 9020 I will be working on first is a bit of a puzzle mainly because I do not remember what the problem was exactly. I remember when it got hot it smoked pretty bad, I know I took off the heads cleaned them and took a look at the cylinders. The cylinder on one side had some scoring "enough to feel with finger nail". I seen the pistons were marked .20 so it has been rebuilt. If I remember correctly I was thinking it was a bad ring. I also remember one of the spark plugs would be soaked with gas. I borrowed parts off it for the other ones so it doesn't run at present. Am I wise to tear down the engine or does someone have any ideas of what the culprit could be? Just looking for some ideas/input before I tear it apart. Also if I have the cylinders rehoned are there oversized rings for this engine? The dealership is never very happy when I go there for parts and end up telling me to bring a part number.

.020 over I'ld probably look for a standard block. I rebuilt mine last year, not real sure what's available as far as parts. If I can find Mikes # I'll PM you

ONAN PART NUMBERS FOR THE CCKB-MS/2420H THE CCKB-MS/2440H AND THE CCKB-MS/2733J ARE AS FOLLOWS.

113-0153-20 .20 OVER

113-0153-30 .30 OVER

113-0153-40 .40 OVER

I USE M-AND-D.COM FOR ONAN PARTS I TRIED THE .30 OVER AND THE HAD A SET FOR 100.00

Parts are very costly as I'm sure you are finding out. You have an amazing fleet however & with the attachments you have, it requires multiple machines.

I personally would avoid the dealership for the information you seek. I would instead go to a reputable engine machine shop. You will have found a good one when they know exactly where to locate parts. It's been 25 years since I lived in St. Peter, but I would suspect that there has to be at least one shop like that in Fond du Lac or nearby.

Yeah I have noticed the price a few years back. If this one ends up costing more than a few hundred I am going to repower. I was hoping to only need rings, I do all the work myself so parts are the only cost " thank god" I still cannot believe someone knows where St peter is not to mention lived here. I think the population is 200 at best! 720nut I will google that now. Thanks

SMALL ENGINE WAREHOUSE SELLS A KIT FOR THESE. I BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED. THE ADAPTER, WIRING, THE RUN THE BRIGGS VANGUARD IN THE KIT.

I would tend to agree that is I was going to do a re-power, I would opt for the Briggs over the Honda. I'm hoping someday soon, there is an air cooled diesel re-power kit. Carol Stream sells a 20hp V-twin diesel I'm intrigued with but too scared to try it.

Yea I know St. Peter right? Beginning of the "Holy Land". My Dad worked for G&L. Moved there when I was a Senior in high school. I helped Dennis Schneider from Silica Hardware chase a loose cow down one morning over my college winter break back about 1991.

Beautiful area.