Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Soverign gas in oil HELP!

CVSB10JCS

Went to check out tractor to rake some leaves and oil was WAY OVER FULL and smelled like gasoline! Didn't try to start as I realize the oile need changed at this point. What else needs checked or fixed to correct this problem?

If you have a Kohler twin the float valve will stick open. Cleaning the carb will help some but putting on a fuel shut off valve works the best. Common problem easy fix the hard part is remembering to use the shut off valve.

If you have the Kohler Command V-Twin 18hp engine, the fuel pump has a hole in the diaphragm and gas is getting into the crankcase via the pulse line. I had this happen with 2 Sovereigns that I owned in the past. Replacing the fuel pump and changing the oil solved the problem.

quote:Originally posted by blangkabel

I had the same problem and it was a clogged breather. Not sure what engine you have but mine is Kohler series 2.

id="quote">
id="quote">Winter of 2014, though I had a fuel shutoff valve installed, it doesn't help, if you don't use it. In my case I think the fuel contained moisture that froze also. After many vain attempts at starting, checked the contents of the oil sump, It also had an abnormal amount of fluid mostly fuel (a normal 48oz of fluid when drained, became over 128oz, and presumably the 12HP I/C engine was toast), it is now waiting to be replaced with another 12HP I/C. Another project for the todo list.XX(

Yup...add a fuel shutoff. I blew the seal out the front of my series II last year after the fuel filled the crankcase. Easy fix, but a heck of a mess.

ok I think it is the Kohler Command V-Twin 18hp engine and the old filter is rear close to the hood so that means its not a TRIAD engine

There are a number of things that can cause fuel to end up in the oil including those mentioned above as well as others.

You will have to clean out the contaminated oil very well then put in new oil. Clean the carb to make sure the float is not sticking or the needle prevented from seating properly and that there is plenty of air flow into the carb. Make sure any hose from carb to crankcase is not clogged as well.

If the fuel pump is on the valve cover, it is likely a failed fuel pump. You will need to replace the cover (pump not rebuildable). Been there and done that on a CH 25.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello;

I strongly recommend installing an inline manual fuel shutoff valve.

The ones that are electric are no good as they are prone to fail.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

ok dealer wanted like $115.00 for the kohler part and $35.00 for a briggs part. got the cheaper one and installed after draining oil/gasoline and letting sit in sun to evaporate. there seems to ne a lot of blowby when I remove the oil fill cap so where is this breather everyone talks about??? and how do I determine if its also bad

quote:Originally posted by CVSB10JCS

ok dealer wanted like $115.00 for the kohler part and $35.00 for a briggs part. got the cheaper one and installed after draining oil/gasoline and letting sit in sun to evaporate. there seems to ne a lot of blowby when I remove the oil fill cap so where is this breather everyone talks about??? and how do I determine if its also bad

id="quote">
id="quote">A properly functioning breather creates a slight vacuum in the crankcase to help prevent oil leaks. There would be a value in the shop manual for the vacuum in the crankcase when measured with a manometer. If you just hold your hand over the oil fill hole with the engine running and you can feel a little vacuum, then it's working properly. Doesn't affect blowby. That sounds like rings!

Had this happen just last week. I have a shut valve on all tractors and I use them. I went out to mow the lawn with the 917 with the M20 I just put together last fall.

I opened the valve, but then went to get my earmuffs, wife called...got back to the tractor in about 45 mins.

I hit the starter and the engine immediately locked up, which I knew right away was hydraulic lock. I looked at the gas gauge...up missing a lot of gss.

Drain out about 1.5 gals of oil and gas, pulled the plugs, sucked gas out of the cylinders, rolled the engine over without the plugs in.

No gas got in the oil filter, but changed it anyway. Took the carb off, everything looked good, put it back together, new oil and filter and everything is fine.

I can't believe that much gas drain into the engine through the carb that fast.

I have inexpensive (less than $5 ea.) valves on all tractors, no problems with them went used. I have forgotten to close them from time to time, but with no problems...but Murphy will find everyone some day. sm02

I have a similar issue to contend with on my Brother's mower. We picked up a mid 90s landlord (14 gtg) last year for 175 bucks. It runs good, drives, and mows. Its not super pretty, but its ok. Anyway, he got it out of storage this year, filled the tank, and let it sit for a week. Next time He tried it, said he got gasoline out of the exhaust! He left it in the yard...ngr2

Anyway, I went over yesterday, and found the oil level is way high and its very thin. We'll start with the fresh oil, a carb clean, and a fuel shutoff. I didn't notice the electronic one on the bowl, thankfully. Hoping I don't need to a fuel pump. They are a little pricey from Jacks. Its a Kohler Command 14 HP vertical, they wanted about 40 bucks for it!

had the same issue with my Snapper rear mounted mower. Runs like a top but if I don't shut the gas off. Look out.

I bought it that way and apparently some of the newer briggs verticals have this problem. I just shut the fuel off religiously