Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

just got a simplicity 5216 at a auction serial #

billgawel

1691362 001713 DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT YEAR THIS WAS MADE THIS IS MY FIRST SIMPLICITY MODEL I AM NEW TO THIS TYPE BUT HAVE RESTORED A LOT OF OLD TRACTORS THANKS BILL

If it has the original engine, you can get close by the date code on the engine. Tractor serial number doesn't tell us much.

Date code is located on the shield or sheetmetal cover on the engine itself.Number might be hard to see as it is stamped into the metal.

Welcome to the site!

We all would LOVE to see some pics of the other tractors you have restored Bill!

That is a 1988-89 production year unit. Any closer would need a date code off the engine and we could make an educated guess within 60 days.

found a serial # on the motor briggs and stratton model 402707 type 1205 01 code 88012612 hope this helps thanks for all the info i have a hard time using computers i just turned 72 i am good fixing old tractors but no good using or working on this modern junk thanks again Bill

That is a nice tractor Bill. I have one - hydro? Mine lugs a 48" deck around the yard. I like it a lot for mowing. It's smaller and more nimble than my Sovereign. The cut is great with it too. I found my deck doesn't really adjust high enough though. I cut an additional slot in the adjustment bracket to give it just a bit more lift.

quote:Originally posted by billgawel

found a serial # on the motor briggs and stratton model 402707 type 1205 01 code 88012612 hope this helps thanks for all the info i have a hard time using computers i just turned 72 i am good fixing old tractors but no good using or working on this modern junk thanks again Bill

id="quote">
id="quote">The engine was built on January 26, 1988. So depending on how fast the engine left Briggs to when it was installed in your tractor is an educated guess, so we use a 60 day guess. With that in mind your machine was built around Feb-Mar of '88.

thanks for the info will call it 1988 5216h first thing i do is order operation and parts manuals for any tractors or mowers i work on Lots of the time it helps me to understand how they work had to remove gas tank to get it cleaned out Rebuilt carb and fuel pump replace fuel line and filter all of them full of water and slug The gas cap-gauge was broke letting water into tank just got new cap and operator manual in the mail today will put the carb back on with a new battery should start today Wish me luck Talk to you Later Bill

You can get electronic manuals for your tractor free from Briggs.

You put your mfr's number into the search box at the Briggs manual site and you'll be able to download 4 manuals - two operators manuals and 2 parts manuals, one each for tractor and engine.

Here's the link for the downloads after I put in your tractor's mfr's number (1691362):

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/support/manuals/results?search=1691362

Thanks PhanDad checked out this site its great has what i need tried starting the motor cranked over ok but only runs when i hit it with starting fluid have gas up through pump fuel bowl filled ok but not getting through carb this carb was a mess when i opened it up cleaned it real good or so i thought used a rebuild kit will go back in and check all the little holes and jets again this is the part that would make me pull my hair out if i had any will keep you posted Bill