Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-110 starter/generator check?

macallis180

My "new to me" B110.

Put a new ammeter on as old one had broken needle. Does not show charge or discharge when running.

Which terminals should I check with a voltmeter to see if generator is working? Or if the regulator is working or not working?

Thanks.

Chris: When I check, should I have one probe on the A terminal, and the other on the wire that feeds to the regulator?

THanks.

Should I check this with one probe on the A terminal and the other on the terminal on the voltage regulator?

Thanks.

No, the other probe to ground. The voltage regulator should hold the produced voltage to that level to avoid frying the battery.After checking for 15-16v at the "A" terminal, check the "+" terminal of the battery. It should read the same as you measured at the "A" terminal. If not, then there's an issue in the wiring back to the battery. Could be a blown fuse as shown in one of these wiring diagrams (push button start vs solenoid start):

Wiring.JPG

Also, the battery will only show charge just after starting the tractor when the S/G "replaces" the amps used in starting (assuming a fully charged battery). The S/G will provide current to any accessories directly without the current passing through the ammeter.

Wiring.JPG.fe4cea09e389415bc3881e2b8be2474b.JPG

Will have to check, hopefully Monday, as weekend is busy with things other than tractors!

Thanks, Bill for all the info.

Will get it figured out - step by step.