Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OrangeMetalGuy

Dexron VI for a 716 Hydro?

OrangeMetalGuy

I am going to replace the hydro filter, with the correct Wix equivalent.

Now, I have always used Dexron-IV in both of my hydros. So I went to pick up a couple of quarts today before I change the filter, but nobody has it any more.

I brought home a couple quarts of STP Dexron VI, which says it's an equivalent for II and III. But it doesn't say for IV.

Am I ok to use this? Should I drain all the fluid out and not mix? Or does it not matter?

Thanks.

OrangeMetalGuy
quote:Originally posted by RayS

Dexron is backwards compatible.

id="quote">
id="quote">Am I better off to drain and use all VI rather than mixing?

BLT

GM owns the licensing rights for Dexron. Any container that says Dexron compatible and has an small "R" circled next to it is licensed by GM to sell that product. GM pulled the licensing for Dexron IV as it didn't turned out as planned and went to Dexron VI.

Dexron VI backwards for all GM products but might not be for other manufacturers. That was the story when I retired for working with Allison Transmission a few years ago. Allison is one that had problems "VI" and Castrol made up a formula for their products called "Transynd".