Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Powermax Brakes

tparf3

Guy's

I have a 1973 Powermax 4040 with the Danco front loader and some sort of converted back hoe.

The brakes which I changed years ago never really were able to stop the tractor to any great extent. The old brakes which came off weren't really worn and I adjusted up the new brakes within reason.

My question is how good were these brakes ever designed to be?

It never really bothered me but I am getting ready to sell the tractor and want them to work at least to the extent as originally designed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have never owned a new Powermax, but of the ones I have owned, the brakes are poor even with clean disks and free linkages.

I was a bad design since the brakes are working against the reduction gears in the drop box.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

John U

I agree with John, wouldn't trust my powermax brakes on steep ramp or hill. Completely went through my and didn't help much. They do work on ice to aid in turning tractor.

Good luck, Mike

Mine are there they somewhat work if you shove in clutch but as far as turning or trying to hold tight in a furrow forget it. Like whats been said I to believe bad design. Just my $.02 welcome to the club

Advice to give to purchaser who is new to Powermax: Hydro lever in reverse is the brake! I agree with all the other comments about brakes

Thanks for the all the insight.

Your experiences seem to be the same as mine.

I'll probably adjust them a little more since it has been years since doing so and give the new owner a heads up on what to expect.

The hydro has been my brake for 18yrs also.

Thanks again everyone.