Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

vari-drive pulley sizes or pics

Hudco

i am going to biuld my own vari-drive for my 101 need to know what size the pullleys or sheaths are, would like to see pic of one on a tractorto see linkages besides the parts look up right know mine is geared with a 4 to a 8 but sure could some in beetweeners sometimes

Hello Mike -

Good luck with your project ... but I have to ask why you would want

to try to build such a complex system when you can easily get factory

made parts? I like to build things, but that is a system that I

would not try to re-invent!

Tom

I can get you some pictures tonight. And I will measure the pulleys.

FYI:

Stock rear pulley on a 101 should be 6 inch. Just that would give you different gear speeds. All a little faster than what you have now.

The variable drives were on long wheel base tractors, yours is short. I think you will have a tough time fitting everything into your side plate length. (side plates are 4" longer on the long wheel base)

If you do it, we want to see pictures. :D:D

First pic is how the linkage attaches to the handle inside the tunnel.Front pulley is 6" diameter, rear is 9"Pics came out sideways because the tractor is standing on end to be stripped, so all those parts could be available.

vari 1.jpg

vari 2.jpg

vari 3.jpg

vari 4.jpg

57e0629b2b3bd_vari1.jpg.267bca43de7a057cfa3712598d5d0893.jpg

57e0629b3c1ac_vari2.jpg.f0ffd8a0f00255bc4d1b38c24262992a.jpg

57e0629b4dd1a_vari3.jpg.e8feb7f13c4380be9c0a7b643a7bbad0.jpg

57e0629b5f0ac_vari4.jpg.083f91f820c5d8918436d5992435aac7.jpg

I tend to agree with Tom. You're a better man than I if you decide to tackle that project. Those were kind of a rube-goldburg setup from the factory, and could be a bear to properly adjust. I also thing the output shaft on the trans and the BGB were a longer length? If so you would have to have or source those parts too?

If you are doing this because you want to try to build one, I commend you. If you are doing this because you really want a vari drive, I'd start lookin' around for a used one. JMO That and 2 bux might get you a cup of coffee.8D

been looking for a used one, looks like it would be a little tight but do able, the mill and the lathe makes it alot easyer. mine had a hi lo on it at one iam guessing by the hi lo sticker on it probley had somthing go wrong and the pulley and rope start put on before i got it but i would put a hi lo on it if i found one of those but all the pic.s and maesurements are well apprecated be cause i have never seen one except for you guys pictures . thanks Hud

rokon i think if it had a 6 on there now it would be hard to till with the eight was on it when i got it so i dont know how it realy would be i know blowing snow somtimes i have to ride the clutch depending on conditions

Ah yes, the 8" pulley was probably put on for tilling. There was also a 10" pulley option as well, to go even slower. That could be an option for blowing snow for you. You could probably find a 10" pulley fairly easy at a tractor supply store or online.

I've had the 10" and it was good for both tilling and blowing, and okay for mowing too. You could mow in 3rd gear most of the time. Just not super fast for traveling.

The Hi lo sticker, and rope cup came from the factory, so the tractor may have never had a hi lo installed.

rokon are you going to sell those parts was just reading throught those posts is the high lo a better choice ? can the vari-drive be shifted on the fly, iam guessing so the motion will move things smoothley Last question can the middle or all that linkage assymbly be shorted up or best off new re fabed new parts shorter so as not to ruin oe parts in case it when to a long frame tractor when i make mods to my things i allawys try to do it in a way that it can be put back the way it came

I am busy with other things, so I have not had time to pull those parts and check them out to see if they are worth selling.

In my opinion, the hi lo is a better option. I'm not a fan of the variable. I think the hi lo also will go slower.

I think those parts could be shortened, by cutting the center out and welding the ends back together. Whether you could shorten them enough, I'm not sure.

The vari-drive needs to be shifted on the fly. The hi lo needs to be completely stopped to shift.

As for ruining OE parts, There are enough of them out there not in service that I don't think it would matter to ruin one set. The parts you would be cutting, generally don't need to be replaced, it's the pulleys that wear out.

I think before I did all the modifications, I would try the 10" pulley.

Should be able to find one at a good tractor supply store or online.