Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
yukon

sunstrand hydro

Brettw

I have yet to see a bad Sundstrand. Not saying it couldn't be bad, but I have yet to see one. There are a number of other things tha could be bad with the rear end however, besides just the hydro pump.

Still, that entire assembly is pretty darned bulletproof.

MikeES

I have seen one bad one. Picked up a 916H with hydraulic lift, no engine and the rear end locked up, full of fluid. Sat around for many years and always assumed it was a problem with gears in the transaxle. Sold it to ACB12 he opened it up and the axial piston pump was hamburger inside. Everything else was good.

So what caused that I wonder? And why with a broken pieces in the pump (and check valves depress) the tractor would not move, and you could turn the input shaft of the pump?

If ACB12 sees this post maybe he can add some insight.

rokon2813

I have a bad one too. When I got it in the fall, it took a few minutes to warm up before it would move.

Temperatures below 30 and it wouldn't move at all.

Swapped out the pump and it works fine.

PhanDad

As for testing it, figure a way to attach a drill to it.Here's a pic of the setup I used to test the hydro in an engineless 7018 years ago:

7018_Drill_0001.jpg

I would think you could use the same basic setup and attach the puller plate to the input pulley.

7018_Drill_0001.jpg.bdd72fcabeb013e1a34a7b5f88af58a7.jpg

isetta
quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

As for testing it, figure a way to attach a drill to it.Here's a pic of the setup I used to test the hydro in an engineless 7018 years ago:

7018_Drill_0001.jpg

I would think you could use the same basic setup and attach the puller plate to the input pulley.

id="quote">
id="quote">Cool idea!