Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller Questions...

Simplicity7013H

I picked up this tiller off of Craigslist for $20

00J0J_g8iYNdlszKb_600x450.jpg

What clutch is needed to run this on my '64 Landlord? My 3112H had a tiller at some point since it had the rear lift and extra pulley on the BGB. The pulleys on the back of my 3112 were like the RBT rear tiller pulleys. Are these what is supposed to be on there? Can I use this set up on the Landlord? Or it's this just something strewn together by a previous owner? I know nothing about the tiller drive system since this is my first tiller. Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area. Your help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Elliott

It looks like a 32" round top FDT tiller. It's probably mfg #990174.I picked this one up as part of the "package" with my first 75th:

IMG_4509a.jpg

IMG_4510a.jpg

In the second pic, you can see the type of "idler/clutch" setup you need. It slows the tiller rotation down to proper speed.The newer tillers have much larger drive pulleys and the "idlers" only guide the long belt at the rear hitch location. The early "newer" tiller had a clutch mechanism on the tiller since there wasn't a cone clutch. When the cone clutches came out, the clutch feature was removed from the tiller and replace with an idler/spring setup that tensioned the belt.

IMG_4509a.jpg.e681d9b87360217b130ec98f53c596bc.jpg

IMG_4510a.jpg.6925e701b70249389a94c17a2d8d164e.jpg

Thanks Bill! Now I at least know where to start looking. I mounted it on the tractor and got the proper pulley for the BGB. Now just the clutch. dOd

quote:Originally posted by Simplicity7013H

I picked up this tiller off of Craigslist for $2000J0J_g8iYNdlszKb_600x450.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">The kid certainly seems to have the touch. He's got killer deals falling out of the sky!:D Good for you, Elliot.

http://southbend.craigslist.org/grd/5525857676.html

Surprised no one grabed this before I did. I saw it for $40 bucks. When we got there, the guy said he just wanted it gone and said $20. Like I've said before I never try to find good deals... They just come my way:D&:).

I found a good clear picture and built my own clutch. It's not done yet but it's getting there. I need to bore out the pulley center more but once that's done, I'll have the large double pulley done. Then I'll have to make the clutch. I'm planning to use an idler on a pivot. Any suggestions? If this fails, I'll just try to find an OEM hitch.

Thanks,

Elliott

Did you ask the PO if he has the idler/clutch assembly laying around somewhere? (after showing him a pic of what you're looking for).