Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigdoug42

7112 arbors/42' deck

bigdoug42

I have a 7112 Landlord that I purchased for my son to use at his place. He no longer needs it, so I have it back. I took the deck off for routine maintenance and went to put some grease in the arbors, however I see no evidence of there ever having been any grease fittings. These arbors look to be identical to my Landlord 18 horse, My first thought is I could drill and tap each case and put fittings in, or when I take off the blades to sharpen them just take the dust cover and washers and slap some grease up in there. Any thoughts? I apologize in advance if this has been covered,I could not find any reference to it using search.

ShaunE

Some have grease zerks, some have threaded plugs & some have nothing from my experience.

The two bearings inside are sealed & I believe adding grease helps displace moisture but doesn't effectively lubricate the bearing. Others my differ. When I replace bearings, I do fill the cone with grease manually when I reassemble. If there are grease zerks, I do add several shots every spring.

720nut

All the decks I've had I've drilled and tapped for grease zerks wether or not it helps I really don't know but never lost a bearing with regular maintanence. Just my $.02

Bill725

My 1st deck did not have grease fittings and the bearings did not last long and I had to replace all of the housings do to rust on the inside. You can force grease thru the bearing seals. I pull the blade off and any hardware up to the bottom bearing and add grease until it just starts to come out of the bearing. My current Sovereign deck is 15 years old and I have yet to replace a bearing.