Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

charging issue powermax 9020

rmjens123

Need help with charging issue. Replaced regulator and rectifier on my 9020 powermax. Put single 3 pole unit. Wired red from stator to A pole, 2 black to other A pole. White from Batt pole is to ignition/battery. Will not charge. Used mr. edens old posts to check out system. (had bad rectifier) They are pricey new. Any HELP. Do not want to go to seperate alternator. MAX 4041

Be sure you have 12 volts coming off ig. switch. Could be bad connection off switch or bad switch. Have seen it mant times.

Been through system several times. did continuity checks. All good. Wondered if I am making correct connections at new reg/rec. I am thinking about going back to original. I have what bench checks good (reg) Rectifier showed bad. 91.00 at onan parts. Do not really have funds. hoping for more inexpensive solution. As I would get regulator at the same time I am tired of running out of battery power half way through a job. I mow 4 1/2 acres. I plow a long driveway as well as some neighbors. Thanks for the help. Ilove this site. Has been very helpful. Powermax Is a beast of a tractor. Want to become a paying member but Obama care with its higher copays- deductibles is killing me. I still owe on last years. Just paid off 2014s in march.

I tried to follow al edens test procedures (how do I trouble shoot an Onan/moanin charging system) this was in regards to a 720 A/C. Same as mine. When checking stator output (I am ignorant in this electrical stuff) do I check red and 2 black wires or just between the the 2 black I was unclear on test procedure. Up till now I have never used a multi meter. Any help out there for an old guy.

are you using a digital meter?

I have found for what ever reason, when checking the 'inner' black to red vs. the 'outer' black to red required me to move the the black wires in the plug.to get the correct values. The reading have to be in 'tolerance or 'no go'.

Also, putting a relay into the start wire helps sometimes. That's a LOT of AMPS running through that start switch & small wire.

JP

Thank you for your help. Stator test is between black leads when running? 28+ volts? I am new at this. I have a Klein digital multi meter. manual set. Any help is greatly appreciated. rmjens123

Ran stator test. Used 2 black leads. Made sure I was on A/C (new at using meter)Engine running at half throttle I got(meter fluctuates) between 40/52 volts. This I very high. Is this a good stator. I have used funds from my Ebay sales(meant for medical bills) to purchase new regulator and rectifier from Onan Parts. Before I install I need answer about high readings from stator as to not damage new parts. I did a continuity check on stator before doing output test. Stator is working but are high readings because I am testing wrongly or something else. Changing where meter is set did not get me useable readings. I am using a Klein multi meter Digital Readout manual set. Am I going in right direction? MAX 9020 Thank you so much for your input I am leaning more about electrical issues than I thought possible.

I finally fixed issue. Bought new regulator and rectifier. (that hurt 183.00) But it is charging. 13.8 at battery. FYI I checked Onan manual and it shows up to 92 volts at 3600 rpm. 50 @1800. Where I was taking readings at. Should have checked manual sooner. Never saw that in there before. Maybe I should learn to read. Thanks to all for your input. I learned a lot through this. Learned to at least use a multi meter better.

quote:Originally posted by rmjens123

Need help with charging issue. Replaced regulator and rectifier on my 9020 powermax. Put single 3 pole unit. Wired red from stator to A pole, 2 black to other A pole. White from Batt pole is to ignition/battery. Will not charge. Used mr. edens old posts to check out system. (had bad rectifier) They are pricey new. Any HELP. Do not want to go to seperate alternator. MAX 4041

id="quote">
id="quote">Your "single 3 pole unit" is simply not compatible with the Onan stator setup. It won't work.You need to either get the seperate rectifier and regulator or go with an external alternator.John U