Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B12- Need some breakdown instructions

msasso

So I just got out of a long divorce (3 years). bought my ex out of the house and i am once again ready to start playing with my herd of tractors.

I just purchased a Panzer (unbelievable find on Long Island NY)and I am using it to pull the other guys out of the shed and such.

As you can imagine the first one I wanted to pay attention to was my big B12. But it won't start. there is no spark. went through everything I could (points, etc...) but a live mouse did run out from under the cover and there is a huge mouse nest under it. I am assuming the bastard chewed through something. I have never had to break the tractor down and I was hoping someone could point me to a breakdown article or give me the minimal steps to get the cover off the engine. I've worked on these old tractors enough to know its wise to ask before you start ripping stuff apart. Thanks in advance for your help

I'm going to reply to my own message here. Looks like it's easy enough to just yank the engine and go from there. Might as well do a total cleanup.

Next question. The engine cover is completely rusted through on the bottom where it sticks through the frame. What do the rest of you guys do about this. weld it or look for a new cover?

I guess that all depends on what you want when your done. If it is just to run & use I would put it back on and go unless it it all gone.

Tom

Depends on what you want. You can go to all the trouble to weld it all up if you want the original numbers, or just find a used replacement cover. They pop up on ebay quite often.

Other than a capture nut versus through hole here and there, pretty much any cover from 10 hp to 16 hp will fit.

And you are correct, if you want to get under that cover, pulling the engine is the only way.

Pull the hood, grill, side covers to get to the drive shaft, wiring, and engine mount bolts. It is pretty simple. Getting the 2 drive shaft bolts out of the flywheel can be a pain, not much room in there, but not real bad.