Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower Blade Orientation

fitchnhunt

Evening all....this may be a dumb question but couldn't find an answer in the manual so thought to ask....1690502 3 blade 48" mower deck on my 7119. Decided to give it a good once over and sharpen the blades. When bolting the blades back down, is there a certain orientation they should be in relation to each other? The pics in the manual show them to all point the same direction and all in line when spun 90 degrees. Is this how they should be or is there a right or wrong way? It might be a dumb question I guess. I realize by removing the belt under the covers and reinstalling, they will more than likely be "out of sync" with each other and if belt slips while cutting I'm guessing that would throw it off too. Am I thinking too much on this or does it have an effect on cutting? Thanks?

Yeah, you are making too much out of it. There is no right or wrong way. If you line them all up a certain way and then mow a bit, I can guarantee they will not be lined up the same way.

Steve

The deck is designed so the blades run w/o orientation. My Regent is not. It has a timing belt and the blades have to be 90 degrees to each other. Two years ago I forgot that and when I engaged the mower , you never heard such a clatter.:o)

Thanks for the replies. They just seem so darn close when the ends meet each other but as long as everything is tight (and stays tight!) they are about 3/4" away from one another. I was thinking too deeply about it. A little gunshy since last summer when I was off roading making a trail in the woods out back and hit a "concrete" root. Loud noise, saw sparks, poo'd my pants, and saw a blade come out from under the deck. The neighbors even came out to see what all the ruckus was about. He figured I'd be curled up in the fetal position after hearing all the commotion. Thanks!