Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
cschmidt62

KT 17 Series II Question

Brettw

Chris,

Let's make sure of a few things. First the seal: I would make sure there are no burrs on the crank surfaces and you should be fine. Next, look to the Kohler site and they have owners and service manuals for all of their engines. The service manuals are very detailed and are a great help, the will tell you exactly how to re-install a crank seal properly. And it's free.

Next: why did the seal blow out? Check for a failed or bad breather assembly(my experience). The KT's had a mushroom style breather made of rubber that could fail. Hence the blown seal. The new version which is still available is about 30 bux. Accessed from the top of the engine under the one valve cover it is easy to fix. I am not saying this is the problem, but certainly something to look at. Bad breather = crank case pressure and blown seals.

Good luck!

ShaunE

Have you removed the old seal?

If so, I would use a piece of black iron pipe that is the correct diameter of the metal seal ring. Long enough to clear the crankshaft end & a hammer.

Before you install the new seal, I would emry paper the shaft to make it shiny & smooth as not to damage the new seal & lightly grease the new seal prior to installation.

Did the old seal blow out due to a bad breather etc... Or was it simply leaking???

MikeES

I also put scotch tape over the keyway so it does not nick the new seal.

I have replaced this crankshaft seal on the KT/MT engines before. I used a pair sheet rock screws into the old seal to pull it out and then prepared the shaft as others state above and install the new seal to a depth of 5/32 (+3/64",-1/64").