Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

620 died

720nut

My 620 started right up as usual and ran about 20 feet and coughed and quit. Now It will not turn over, fuel pump runs but nothing to starter. Hate wiring so really don't know where to begin. I fooled with a couple wires but nothing there all safety switches are bypassed. Maybe just call Steve at B&B in Jersey and get new harness what ya all think?

Hi Lloyd, I go through that from time to time. I start at the ignition switch, then battery h2o, then charge.

Last time, had a bad connection in the switch plug, low h2o. Charged it, only to find it was a bad battery. I had replaced it 2yrs 9months ago @ Costco. Had a 3 yr warranty! Replaced & no worries.

Also check the PTO switches. I have had to clean them from time to time. I think they are in the power circuit.

JP

Thanks JP, new battery last fall when I put external alt on, new switches on PTO Every thing but wiring harness was new when I rebuilt tractor. Son inlaw is coming down today to look at it, he's real good at electrical stuff me I kind of suck when it comes to electrical, can fix anything else just not that.

must be something in the air my 720 bucket loader quit yesterday keeps blowing the 20amp fuse from the starter to the amp gauge so i unhooked the wire from the back of the gauge and ran a wire from the battery to gauge and it still shorts out? so now i know its shorting out from the otherside of the amp gauge to starter switch i hope today im towing it into shop with the 720 mower and rip it apart.hope i dont have to pull the engine. to see the wires at the starter.anyone else ever have this problem?

Hey Lloyd could it be the circuit breaker? Was your ignition switch new? I had this same problem with one of my powermaxs I ended up running a new wire from the key switch to the starter, some where along the line the little wire from key to the starter must have broke, I took a tester and figured out what pole on the key switch lit up when I turned the key and ran a new one right to the starter and it hasn't failed since. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call

Hey guys son inlaw found the problem, seems the wiring harness got between hydro lever and frame work and cut two wires one being power to starter. So after about 2 hrs. and a lot of testing we're up and running again

I have a love affair with them to but was to the point that I was ready to dismount loader and sell tractor,but something keeps me wanting it. Don't know why it can't be like my 720,not a problem. anyway thanks guys for all the support.