Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer troubles

SmilinSam

Got a relatively unused HC 150 gas hedge trimmer that has some troubles. It will readily start everytime and run as long as you hold the trimmer with the bar pointing to the ground. If you move the trimmer in any other direction it will soon begin to sputter and die.

Changed the fuel lines, filter and tank breather out for new ones. Didnt help.

Then put a new diaphram kit in the carb. That didnt help the probkem either.

What should I try next?

Maybe run some seafoam or other cleaner through it ?

Buy a new carb?

Only other thing I notice is that when the trimmer is running the gas tank is foaming, IE bubbling like air is being blown back into the tank.

Thanks for listening,

Sam

For starts , when you push prime bulb, do you see movement in the fuel line and if there is , does the fuel flow in the correct direction?

Dont know how old. Looks like 5 yrs maybe. Little sign of use to it. Not even dirty, and no wear to the blades or other parts. Had the carb apart and installed new seals and diaphrams. Not dirty inside or varnished bad either.

Already checked. Its clean.Unlike that guy, this trimmer starts easy and runs wide open throttle fine and run as long as you want....as long as you hold the trimmer with the cutter bar pointing to the ground. Change the orientation of the trimmer and it starts to die like its not getting gas. Sometimes when you tip it back down quick enough when it starts to die off, it will start going again, other times it just dies and you have to choke it and start it again.

I sure cant figure it out.....

Hi Sam,

Just a guess, but it seems as tho the gas flow is cut off when you tip the motor. Could there be something going on with the end of the gas line that goes into the tank? Somehow getting blocked when the engine is tipped? Otherwise, you sure got me on this one!

Steve

Dead end there too. Took the new fuel filter off and just left the open line in the tank. Still the same.

My boy says that one of the carb ports somewhere could be partially plugged so that while the trimmer is pointed down with the gas tank up on top it will run due to the added gravity feed, but when the gravity effect is gone by turning the trimmer another way it just wont pull enough fuel to keep it running.

So.. I am going to run some cleaner through it for a while and see if that helps. If not, going to just get a new carb..

quote:Originally posted by SmilinSam

Dead end there too. Took the new fuel filter off and just left the open line in the tank. Still the same.My boy says that one of the carb ports somewhere could be partially plugged so that while the trimmer is pointed down with the gas tank up on top it will run due to the added gravity feed, but when the gravity effect is gone by turning the trimmer another way it just wont pull enough fuel to keep it running.So.. I am going to run some cleaner through it for a while and see if that helps. If not, going to just get a new carb..

id="quote">
id="quote">SamI did nearly everything you have to my '02 Echo PB2100 leaf blower when it started acting up couple yrs ago. Finally, at suggestion of fishnwiz, I bought a new carb on eBay. After installation and adjustment it runs as it should. I shoulda started with a new carb.