Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tiller drive

msasso

I have several allis tractors a 36" tiller and cannot find the system that goes between them to engage the tiller. Any thoughts in how to make one or where to get one?

It has always amazed me how these can be so difficult to find. There must be a lot of them hanging on nails in sheds across the country or a dump somewhere full of them.

Is this what you're looking for? I can't recall whose diagram it is (BLT or Maynard maybe?), and can't find the thread where it was originally posted, but maybe someone will come along and point it out.

Tiller parts diagram.jpg

I have made all of these parts using this diagram; the measurements are accurate and they're all easy to make.

57e062a74aa2e_Tillerpartsdiagram.jpg.c814da7ff890daa9f33672f135ccc172.jpg

Now that I fully understand your question, you need the 1690179 drive clutch kit. Some of the necessary parts maybe what huffy detailed above.

The install instructions: http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/jgEBGP_dzN0tG5Exj7mRgtLvBCd6.pdf

The parts list (in the parts manual for the Model 7000 attachments and accessories):

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8aoJ2rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdf

With the B series it needs to look like this:

tiller.jpg

figure_6_small.jpg

There is an instruction manual for the 32" up on the SimpleTractors site.Think the 36 B series hooks up the same way.The needed pulley set-up is more difficult to fabricate , than the later series due to the double pulleys.And the hand drawing above is correct for the early style PTO set-up, near the BGB drive pulley

Greg, I agree that the tiller setup you show is the original setup for a FDT. And I guess I don't "fully understand the question". Need to know the model of tiller to be sure. But I thought all 36" tillers used the standard "direct drive" idlers and long belt. (The idlers RayS makes)I believe the 1690179 clutch kit allows the newer style unclutched tillers (such as the 1690039 tiller) to be used on a FDT tractor with the "standard" mid idler pulleys. (The newer style tillers that don't require the two size intermediate pulley setup that is shown in your pic.)The intro of the kit manual states:

ClutchKit.JPG

You would need the longer wheel based tractors (B-112) for the stock long tiller drive belt to work. You'd need about a 8" shorter belt for the short wheel base tractors (B-110).I'm not sure if you can use the "hanging PTO" BGB pulley or need to install the one included in the kit. I think the diameter is correct (or close enough), but the width of the groove might be too small for the wider tiller belt. The kit basically converts a #1690039 tiller without clutch into a #990694 with clutch.

ClutchKit.JPG.426c8cfc7661e1a6a83d1d26368d65ba.JPG

Could we get a picture of the tiller? Or the model number? If there is a clutch on the tiller, you need the part Ray makes.If the tiller has no clutch, you need the system above.If you can't get a picture, the tillers will look a good bit different.Greg has pictures above the system you need with no clutch on the tiller and you can see in his pic what the drive on the tiller looks like.The other tillers, with a clutch on the tiller will have a much larger drive pulley and a guard over it, as well as a square handle.

scott before.jpg

If the tiller is later than those, for the cone clutch tractors, I can't help with that, never had one.

57e062a883ae5_scottbefore.jpg.bd0b10e4eab739ad5d610edaf141eeef.jpg

"RBT Cone Clutch Tiller" (No clutch on tiller) #1690039:

SovTiller_0024.jpg

Clutched Tiller (Late FDT & Early RBT?) #990694:

KirksTiller_0020.jpg

KirksTiller_0021.jpg

Notice "standard" idlers in top left of pic.

SovTiller_0024.jpg.f723cbe9e61612430eba8b6e89dafa84.jpg

KirksTiller_0020.jpg.a076b49837c52a7f3268e4c9936fc994.jpg

KirksTiller_0021.jpg.4b1171305ddd16957102b1203d2a99dd.jpg

Learn something new all the time.

Did not know Simplicity designed retro kits to make new attachments work with older tractors.

I'm not very familiar with the 32" FDT tillers but it looks like the one in GregB's post.I believe it needs this intermediate pulley setup:

Kirk2_0007.jpg

Kirk2_0007.jpg.fbe46ea83e0abb7d38e9cb8e0d3f8cc7.jpg