Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7016 Briggs Booster Fan Failure

MercerRec

I have a question on the fan-booster (part #691151) on a 16hp Briggs CI. Due to some sins from the previous owner using incorrect and mismatched bolts/washers to attach the driveshaft, the fan (which is aluminum) is damaged with a chunk broken off where the drive shaft bolts thread in.

The fan was clean and looked like it had recently been replaced. I assume the wrong hardware and the aluminum disc someone substituted for the flex coupler were complicit in the repeated failure.

But, I was slightly surprised to see the part costs 80-100 bucks from the usual sources.

My question: Has anyone successfully welded/drilled/retapped or is a complete part replacement required?

I have the correct hardware is on the way and I will be truing the driveshaft prior to reinstallation.

Thanks for the help.

Edit to add this motor uses a starter, not the belt driven starter generator.

I would just buy a used one off eBay and save yourself the PITA of trying to fix the one you have; IMHO.

Tom (PK)

I probably have one if they are the same as the ones with the starter generator.

I know I have a 16 here with electric start and the belt pulley on the fan.....

Thanks for the replies. I stopped at a local repair shop and the guy kinda dug in a file cabinet of all places, pulled out a fan and said here, see if this is the same. It was. I almost fell over.

To add some detail, the previous owners repair work is impressive. I am guessing, but I think the coupler suffered a failure and took out the fan prior to my purchasing it. They installed a new fan, but instead of replacing the flex disc, they made one. Out of 18 gauge or so aluminum. And then used a mismatched lot of washers/bolts and spacers on re-installation.

Naturally their was vibration in the driveline. No play in the bevel gear box, the keyway on the rear yoke was shot though and some hardware was loose. Changed all the fluids and greased, should be ready for service as soon as I find that 48" mower deck...

I was aware it needed work when I purchased the machine and am just going over everything.

This is a 6 speed and in 6th gear the engagement is pretty harsh. I put talc on the high range belt (brand new) but still hits kinda hard unless you really ease out the clutch. Is that normal?