Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lawn Boy addiction too...

Simplicity7013H

Well, It all started when there was an old Lawn Boy out by the trash. I was 9 at the time and the people thought it was so "cute" that this little kid wanted the mower out by the trash. After some pleading with my mom that it was worth getting, we picked it up and it ran great after a bit of tuning. Next, this past summer, our neighbor was having a garage sale and I couldn't help but spot this Lawn Boy. Hehehe. "How much for that," I asked. She said $10 and it even came with the Lawn Boy gas can!! Then, I got just a brick top LawnBoy motor for free but it was locked. While attempting to remove a stuck piston, my dad broke the rod|):(. So, I cleaned it up and polished it and its just a shelf display. Well, a few weeks ago, I saw another brick top for sale. Listed at $35 so I waited a few weeks and Wednesday, I saw it was now $25. So last night, we met the guy and got it for $20. After a bit of tuning and TLC, she is purring strong again! From my research, Its a 1964 Lawn Boy 5232 21" deck. Engine model # D401.Picture of mowers in the order I got them Right to Left:

lawnboy1.jpg

lawnboy2.jpg

The Latest one:

lawnboy3.jpg

Ive got both the tractor and the pushmower bug now:D:D&:)&:)(there is another one but its not in the picture.lol Its a 1989 with a bagger)

lawnboy1.jpg.6837a5300477d5a13703d16752b2ef49.jpg

lawnboy2.jpg.83b5ad0f800efb637cd712c99142fb80.jpg

lawnboy3.jpg.4b21b6f81a583535eee3533a3da30c6c.jpg

I grew up with Lawn Boy push mowers too. We had a hill that would eat up a 4 cycle engine in a couple of seasons. I will cry when I can't keep my 1979ish one going. An early 70's one was one of the first engines I ever tore down and reassembled when I was about 12 or so. It is still around today - about 30 years later. The one I run at home was given to me by an old neighbor that used to buy them at yard sales. He would clean out the exhaust ports and throw in a new plug and resell them. He bought a really nice looking one, but took the sellers word that it ran. It was locked up. He couldn't do internal engine work, so he gave it to me and I handed down my well used one to my brother. I carefully disassembled my new to me engine, ran a hone in the cylinder, bought a new OEM piston and rod and have been running it ever since. That's been probably 14 years.

Your old ones are pretty cool.

Thanks guys! This thing is SO quiet! And for a push mower, it has a HUGE muffler on the bottom. I have a feeling that is has very few hours on it due to it still having the original blade with green paint still on it. Is it common for push mowers to still have the original blades on them?

I had a 1963 lawn boy that my grandfather gave me in 1978. It did all the push mowing and clean up for many years, then one day my wife used it while the cotton wood fuzz was as thick as snow, plugged the fan screen and melted the piston.

This was before internet, so went to the Lawn boy dealership to get the parts but they were NLA. This was a magnesium deck, so the dealer traded me even up for a newer used running steel deck mower (model 7073).

That was in the mid 90s and it is still running great.

Ever look into what a 17+ yr old commercial units bring ?

Make sure your setting down....

• 1 month later...

Bought a new one like the middle mower in 1981 at a hardware store in Manchester Ky. The man who owned the store told me I only needed to know one thing and that was never loan it to no one not even my MIL (wasn't married). I still have that mower and have always liked Lawn Boy mowers.

These were at the Gilmore Car Museum tractor show in Hickory Corners, MI a couple of weeks ago.

20160625_133157small.jpg

20160625_133157small.jpg.9cb92b2646801ca4ceeff0381dbaf535.jpg