Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ok guys, what's next 23D ?? GOT IT !!!

rokon2813

I have a 23D that ran great all winter.

Blew snow with it a couple times, would kick in the governor and just run great.

Put a deck on it, and it won't run right.

Act's too rich. Turn the screw in just a bit maybe 1/8th turn and it would straighten out for a minute till it acted like it ran out of gas?

I could get it to run good at any given speed, but once you moved the throttle it either loaded up or stalled out.

Changed carb, same thing.

Changed condenser and points, same

Cleaned and reassembled original carb, same

Changed plugs twice, always the same.

I converted it to electronic ignition, still the same running, but seems to not be getting gas to start. Starts hard and the plug is dry.

I pulled the head, valves don't appear to be sticking, and head gasket was good.

With the electronic ignition, when trying to start it backfires through the muffler. But IF and when I get it to run, it still runs exactly the same.

Any clues ? I'm stumped.

I guess next would be pull the engine and check the flywheel key??

Sounds like you've tried nearly everything. There is not a traditional flywheel key on those 23D engines. They have that little steel tab that fits over a pin.

Is the carb getting sufficient fuel flow? Maybe you shut the fuel valve off and didnt open it back up completely?

If yes, I would check the flywheel key, unless like Chris said they dont have a traditional key.

I feel your pain when it seems like you have checked everything with no success8C

Good luck!:D

Did you check valve clearance? I had a similar issue, my exhaust valve was WAY tight. I think it was opening too soon, and allowing a compression loss, and backfires through the muffler...

Also, the electronic ignition modules fire on every revolution of the flywheel, instead of every other, like a points and condenser set-up. That can also cause backfires, if the timing is off (check flywheel key)

I had a 23D in another Landlord I had and it wouldn't fire and had the symptoms you described. I would first change it back over to the original ignition. The electronic ignition isnt making it any better. I took a wire brush on a drill and cleaned the whole inside of the combustion chamber. I would also recommend turning the motor so the valve is lifted and then clean the valve seat. This is what got my motor going. It was loosing too much compression around the valves because of build up not allowing the valves to close due to it being a horrible smoker and oil burner. I would also check the "flywheel key" as stated above.

Hope this helps!

-Elliott

Sounds like a clogged fuel line. If you pull the fuel line off of the carb do you have good flow?

Take the deck off!!!! All kidding aside have you checked the compression? If the valves are suspect I would assume low compression. In my experience...backfires are usually ignition related but anything is possible. Good luck! Bad coil?

Harry

I only used the electronic ignition to rule out Ignition,

Fuel flow is fine, checked that first.

And I did take the deck off LOL

I have other tractors, so it goes on the back burner for now. I suspect valves or compression related.

When I get back to it, I'll let you guys know.

I have a 16 hp that acts pretty similar, though not as bad. So when I figure out one, I'll probably find the solution for both of them.

• 1 month later...

Well.... I was pretty sure I had it figured out a couple weeks ago, but didn't have time to put everything back the way it was to test my "thoery".

Finally got around to it.

A couple weeks ago I ran out of gas with another tractor I was mowing with. I usually get my gas at one place, but didn't want to take the time so I ran to the corner store to get some.

Within 5 minutes of filling up, my 2210 was doing exactly the same thing. So I ran back to town to get some drygas. Wahla !

So today, I put the 23D all back together, got rid of the electronic ignition, put the original plug back in and used the deck of the 2210 and put a few ounces of dry gas in the tank.

I've mowed half the yard so far without a hiccup.

Check the simplest things first I guess. And that will be the last time I buy gas for the mowers at that station :D:D:D

Why is it always the easiest thing that we fail to check always the cause of the biggest headaches?

I once tore an ATV engine almost completely down after disassembly of the carb 3 times only to find I had a bad plug!sm00

quote:Originally posted by Hick

Okay, gotta ask: What the heck is "drygas"?

id="quote">
id="quote">From Wikipedia;Drygas is an alcohol-based additive used in automobiles to prevent any water in the fuel from freezing, or to restore combustive power to gasoline spoiled by water. The name Drygas is actually a registered trademarked brand name, owned by Cristy Corporation. It is a liquid that is added into the fuel tank, that absorbs the water and keeps it in solution. Some brands contain methanol and some contain isopropyl alcohol.[1]

Dan,

I have had the water in fuel problem many times over the last several years. I have gotten so that whenever the engines are acting stupid and the standard methods don't seem to work, I remove the fuel line and let some fuel run on a flat board or piece of metal. If the fuel has any water in it then you will be able to see droplets appearing in the fuel.

If you get major amounts of water in one of these newer fuel injected automobiles, it really act strange. Sometimes the 10 percent alcohol that they now put in the gasoline is just not enough to absorb all the water and put it in suspension.

I have also had problems with water in the diesel fuel on my FEL twice in the last year. PIA on a diesel.

Another possibility is the fuel cap not letting air in fast enough causing the tank pressure to go negative as the tractor burns fuel.

A lot of people say first thing to check is the gas cap. If you loosen up the cap and it runs fine then it is the cap not allowing air into the tank as the fuel level drops.

Saying that, I need to go pick up some dry gas and see if it helps my issues cause I know it's not the cap. :)