Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Magnum 20 Oil Leak

wiscogus

So I am pretty sure my Magnum is leaking from either the crank seal or from the closure plate. Any tips or tricks to get the clutch off to be able to reseal the closure plate?

Thanks!

You may want to check the breather assembly first. If bad, it could be causing excessive crankcase pressure and your leak. If not, and I am assuming you are speaking of your 1920 Ultima, the clutch assembly isn't that difficult to remove.

What oil filter do you have on? Just bought a 1920, that had a big oily mess in the front and right side.

The oil came from having the wrong oil filter on the engine, blowing oil out around the filter gasket.

I have always used a Kohler filter or a Fram PH7575, though many different filters will fit.

• 3 weeks later...

MikeES, I use the NAPA Gold 1348 and it's WIX equivalent

UPDATE: replaced crankcase breather and still leaked oil.

Ended up getting the clutch off and looked like it was seeping from the seal.

Parts motor I have had 3 of those seals stacked up, the motor in the tractor now only had one inner seal. Any thoughts on how many are supposed to be there? Kohler parts book just calls for 1.

There is supposed to be one seal. I suppose you could add additional seals, but that is not how I would repair the issue. Pull the old seal and reinstall new per the Kohler service manual. I would also want to look at what is causing seal failure. Is it just a worn seal, or is there is excessive crank wobble or end play that could be an issue too? If, in the past you have seen engines with three seals installed, that sounds to me like more than a seal failure, for instance, on that engine.