Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs pistons for 32 cube engines

Brettw

I have taken apart a 16 horse Briggs with the intent of putting a new set of rings, or bore and rebuild. It ran, but you could smell the old oil a burnin'. Regardless, at this point, I will need a new piston. I had .035 ring end gaps, and the piston has a significant crack in the skirt. It was a grenade just waiting for the pin to be pulled.Are pistons for the Briggs 32 cubic inch engines still available? I can't seem to locate them anywhere. Unless I have an aftermarket piston and the numbers don't match? The number on the piston itself is 211748. The only other numerals / letters are PC and 6 cast in a few other places. All cast numbers are on the inside of the piston. I see nothing on the top or elsewhere stating STD .010 or .020 etc.Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG.c19aa636f510d15f5df39150a1ba8172.JPG

211748 is not the part number. Briggs didn't normally cast numbers on their parts with the exception of a few gaskets having numbers stamped into them.

Thanks all. I now have the information I need to buy, I just have to figure out whether I need to bore it out or not. Considering it looks like an aftermarket piston, and I still see a great deal of cross hatch in the cylinder, I am inclined to think it will likely need to bo bored out. I have to determine that cost and go from there. Aftermarket oversized piston / ring sets seem to be in the $80 range.