Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7790 Electrical Question

mswyka

Our 7790 is a good reliable tractor. Over the winter we would need to charge the battery regularly so that it would start. Last week we bought a new battery. Yesterday I went out to the shed and the battery was dead and under the console there was an occasional metallic "doink" sound - very similar to the throwing of an older style relay. I have the battery charged up but have left the cables off to keep it from going dead again. I am interested in any thoughts of what might be the problem.

That is your circuit breaker

Usually located inside of dash tower

Near the rear of battery tray

Small metal cover

You have a short someplace

Hello, Check the headlight wiring, it may be close to the muffler. I have seen several with melted wires, there is a plug connector for the headlights near the front of the frame .

Thanks Ken in Mi

Thank you. I will make sure to check this.

Does anyone have any good ways to check the electrical system with the battery in place? Is my best approach to pull off the top of the dashboard?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after taking out the battery and the cover of the dash panel the problem was quite obvious - a couple of bare wires. It was not clear to me if it was a rodent or just wear against the steering column. But we now seem to be back in business. Thanks for the help.