Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

msasso

b12 briggs head bolts

RayS

brig12.jpg

According to the Briggs parts manual. These are the part numbers.Also, the manual can be down loaded at the link below.https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/manuals.html

brig12.jpg.aa9c9d856248fdf6634dc20fe35716a4.jpg

Mike_H

When I rebuilt my Briggs (16 HP) I used grade 8 hex bolts. Only real difference is that the original head bolts have a shorter threaded section than common hardware. Not a big deal, because the head is clearance drilled anyway.

BLT
quote:Originally posted by msasso

Thanks, Grade 8 is that Home depot stuff?

id="quote">
id="quote">Don't recall seeing them at Home Depot, but if you have a Tractor Supply type business your way, I think your chances are better.;)

msasso

Thanks and I wish.

No Tractor supply stores on Long Island. very unfortunate

but thanks for all your help. Now I just need to order a new coil and I'll have this baby back together again

BLT

If you have a good local hardware store your chances are also good.

quote:Originally posted by msasso

Thanks and I wish. No Tractor supply stores on Long Island. very unfortunatebut thanks for all your help. Now I just need to order a new coil and I'll have this baby back together again

id="quote">
id="quote">

steve-wis

I can buy grade 8 bolts at Fleet Farm here in the midwest. Also my local true value hardware store has them. If nothing else, you can order them from Fastenal or McMaster Carr.

Steve

PhanDad

According to my notes in a circa 2000 parts list for the model 301431 type 0131-01 12 HP Briggs in my Homelite T-12, the head screw (bolt) part number listed above by Ray, converts to Briggs #691441, the same bolt as the 16HP model. It's 5/16" x 2 7/16" per the 16HP parts manual.

The Lowes near me carries grade 8 bolts, but I'm doubting they carry the 2 7/16" length. Maybe a 2 1/2" length bolt would be OK.