Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

[points

RichB

Welcome aboard!

I recommend going to the Kohler site. They have service manuals for that engine complete in PDF form, for free. It will explain where they are and how to adjust them. Easier than me trying to explain, and a better job of it too! 8D

Make sure that you check the gap after tightening the screw. They have a way of changing after tightening the screw.;)

Thanks. I set them at .020. I got it started today. but it didn't run very long. There is a lot of blow back of oil. It Is a k t series 2 I understand there is a reed or something that I need to clean. where is the reed?

Not necessarily a reed, but a breather. The old style was a rubber mushroom type check valve. The new style is a reed. Follow the rubber breather hose from the air filter, and you will find what you are looking for. The breather is under the valve cover the hose goes to. You should be able to quickly tell whether the breather is good if it is the rubber mushroom. I don't think the reed valve type tends to fail, it was the replacement for the rubber valve. Still available.

.017 to .023 is the range. I've always used the static timing method described in the Kohler manual. As Brett said, you can download it for free directly from the Kohler site.

Good Luck